Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Explanation behind RCN trade badge

Ian B
    Ian B

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Empty Explanation behind RCN trade badge

Post by Ian B Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Good day gents,

Reaching out to the Navy experts here on the Forum. I am looking for an explanation of the design of the RCN's Cook trade badge. It has the crossed sheaves of wheat over what looks like an Islamic crescent moon.

Does anyone know what this crescent represents. A fellow collector here on the East Coast thinks it might represent the top of a cooking pot or cauldron.

I would appreciate anyone giving me the authoritative explanation of the design. Thanks.

Regards,

Ian B
    ypres
    ypres

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Empty Re: Explanation behind RCN trade badge

Post by ypres Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:19 pm

I think in the NATO supply system the crescent means rations. It was a US symbol which seems to have been adopted by NATO.

Ypres

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Nato_s10
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm certainly no expert in anything, especially RCN, but please clarify this for me. What era is this supposed to be, and are you sure it is Canadian?? The Cook Badges I am thinking of are three sheeves of wheat, surmounted by the Maple Leaf.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:26 pm

I believe these are the NATO symbols put on supplies. I think the patch you are referencing is post WWII. Perhaps the NATO symbol was adopted and put on the navy patch. From what I've been able to find the crescent is the symbol for rations. It would seem logical that it means the same on the patch. Apparently it represents the cornucopia. Just my thoughts.

Ypres

qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Cooks Trade Badge 1960 to 1968

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Cook_10

Cook Trade Badge 1980's to present

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Cook_110

Mike
    Ian B
    Ian B

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Empty Picture Worth A Thousand Words

Post by Ian B Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:47 pm

One day I'll learn to include a pic in the OP.

Attached is the Summer Dress version of the badge I am enquiring after. It's Canadian, Pre-Unification, and it is the Cook's badge.

Ian

Explanation behind RCN trade badge Rcn_co10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:23 am