Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Experimental Body Armour

GCR817
    GCR817

Experimental Body Armour Empty Experimental Body Armour

Post by GCR817 Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Body armour was issued on a very limited scale to glider crews and others. 3200 sets were supplied to the 1st Canadian Army and issued mainly to teh 2nd Infantry Division in July 1944.

It was produced by Briggs Motor Bodies, and Harrison Bros and Howson. It is constructed of 1mm manganese steel plates which are covered in canvas. The key organs of the body are protected. Weight is 3.5 pounds.

Experimental Body Armour Rare_018Experimental Body Armour Rare_019
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Experimental Body Armour Empty Re: Experimental Body Armour

Post by Infanteer Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I wonder how often it was actually used? Problem is that some vets reported wearing it under their uniform and so it wouldn't be obvious in photos of the period. Pretty rare stuff and I would love to own a set.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:46 pm

From what I gather it was only worn by a few troops. I have seen a couple photos of it being worn and will post one if I can dig it up. I've heard that medics tended to wear it.

Now for some family history, my Wife's Grandfather (John Nimcan - now deceased) served with the QOR while his Brother served with the Calgary Highlanders. John told me this story while visiting my collection room and examing the armour. His brother (William Nimcan), was a Cpl and was issued a set, but loaned it to a young Pte who was extremely nervous. Anyhow, he was killed in action not long thereafter. I wonder if the body armour would of saved him had he kept it? Fate is a stange thing.

Geoff

In memory of
    Corporal
    WILLIAM NIMCAN
    who died on July 25, 1944
    Service Number: M/31287
    Force: Army
    Unit: Calgary Highlanders, R.C.I.C.
    Division: 1st Bn.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content