Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Application for Enlistment lapel pin

L.E.
    L.E.

Application for Enlistment lapel pin Empty Application for Enlistment lapel pin

Post by L.E. Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to this, so please excuse my lack of knowledge of some discussion going on.
    Asking for some of your expertise. My uncle served in WW2 on warships and I have successfully discovered information on the silver General Service pin and another that I have.
    There is another pin though, and it is an Application for Enlistment lapel pin that I am not sure about. What I found on the internet is that this pin was worn by individuals who enlisted and for medical reason, could not be excepted for battle. Since my Uncle served in battle, I wondered if it could have been my Mother's pin. She worked at Sutton-Horsley Ltd. Toronto and the company made airplane and ship parts, as well as Physicist Walter kohn was doing work in mechanism development etc for the company during WW2 1941 - 1943 (I found that interesting).
    Can anyone tell me any history about Sutton-Horsley Ltd during WW2?
    Anything about the Application for Enlistment pin?

Thanks

Last edited by L.E. on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellcheck:))
    HLIofC
    HLIofC

Application for Enlistment lapel pin Empty Re: Application for Enlistment lapel pin

Post by HLIofC Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:59 pm

I believe that you are correct regarding the pin....applicants rejected for medical reasons. I'm fairly new at this too...Wink 
    L.E.
    L.E.

Application for Enlistment lapel pin Empty Re: Application for Enlistment lapel pin

Post by L.E. Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Hello HLlofc,

Thank you for your response. I had read somewhere during the search on the web, that it was for medical reason as well. It is informative with this group. Much information from other people that is appreciated. Seeking and learning continues!
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed May 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Although very late to this topic, I will add that this badge was created to show that the wearer had applied for military service, but was ultimately rejected due to no fault of their own.

There was much stigma attached to men of fighting age wandering the streets of our Country during the war years not in uniform. So to show a distinction between those who were rejected service and those who never applied, this badge was created. It is available in both English and French examples.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    RCN Sailor
    RCN Sailor

Post by RCN Sailor Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Cliff has provided the complete answer but it was not issued to women.

There was also a French language version.

Ed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:22 am