Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Application for Enlistment pin

L.E.
    L.E.

Application for Enlistment pin Empty Application for Enlistment pin

Post by L.E. Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi,
    I posted in the badges etc as well hoping to find out some info.
    My Uncle served on a warship during WW2 and I managed to find information about some pins that I have from his serving. My Mother also participated at Sutton-Horsley Ltd Toronto during the war. The company had been constructing airplane, ship and military parts and equiptment. Physicist Walter Kohn was developing mechanisms etc during 1941 - 1943 at that company during the war, so the company was very seriously involved with output. That is all I know about Sutton-Horsley Ltd.

Does anyone know more about Sutton-Horsley?
    Also, I have an Application for Enlistment lapel pin and hoped someone could give me some information about this pin?

Thank you

Last edited by L.E. on Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updating)
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Application for Enlistment pin Empty Re: Application for Enlistment pin

Post by pylon1357 Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 pm

The Veterans Affairs web site has a great description of this and other badges. The link to the Applicant for Enlistment is here ... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I Stole this partial description for their site, as I it is past my bedtime.

Not everyone attempting to enlist in the Canadian Forces met the existing minimum medical (physical) standards. Initially, no distinguishing button was issued to those persons rejected for failing to meet the standards. Although a Committee on War Service Badges had recommended on October 27, 1939 that two badges be established; a SERVICE badge for those voluntarily attested for active service beyond Canada and a RESERVE badge for those medically exempt (among other reasons); that recommendation was not acted upon. Instead, rejected applicants for service in the army were issued with form M.F.M. 12 (Militia Form M.12) - Certificate of Medical Unfitness for Service in the Canadian Active Service Force. This form did not satisfy the need for an easily identified indicator of exempt status however, and rejected applicants suffered the wrath of the public as a result.

There were many requests from the general public and veterans organizations for a suitable badge and on June 26, 1941 the Adjutant-General informed the Minister of Defence that he would be discussing the matter at a meeting of the Awards Board. The result of the demands and the meetings was the enactment, by Canada's Governor General, The Earl of Athlone, of Order in Council P.C. 7893 on Saturday, October 11, 1941, (retroactively effective September 1, 1939) to create a badge to identify the medically unfit volunteers and distinguish them from those who had not yet volunteered.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    L.E.
    L.E.

Post by L.E. Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 pm

I am impressed. Thank you for the information. You put effort into this and that is rare. Again, thank you for both of your replies.

Lynne

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am