Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+6
Michael Reintjes
zekehp
Cameraguy
Wouter
Infanteer
Rover
10 posters

Patch ID please

Rover

Patch ID please Empty Patch ID please

Post by Rover Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:00 pm

I have what I think is a WWII 3rd Division formation patch but I don't know what the narrow patch is below.
    Thanks very much,
    Rover
    Patch ID please DSCF2590_zpsf89d3693
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Patch ID please Empty Re: Patch ID please

Post by Infanteer Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Canadian Army Occupation Force (CAOF).... do a search online and you will find what you need. Can we see the rest of the blouse?
    Rover

Post by Rover Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks Infanteer for the ID. Here are some images. The tunic is to a Pte. in the Canadian Scottish and in one of the pockets I found a used set of Canadian Scottish titles and a pair of unused 3rd Division flashes made of felt like material. I've sent for his service files and found he enlisted on 1 Aug.,1944 in Vancouver, B.C. His medal entitlement is the France Germany Star, CVSM & Clasp and the 1939-45 War Medal. On his dufflebag he has printed in marker the places he had passed through and served in. These include Vancouver, Camrose, Calgary, Debert, Truro, Petworth, Witley, Milford, Gilford, Ostend, Gent, Brusselles, Paris, Niymegen, Brueklen, Ede and Oosterbeck.

Thanks
    Rover
    Patch ID please Pb1_zpsf92e8f93
    Patch ID please Pb2_zps57579d7d
    Patch ID please Pb3_zps9e39a9de
    Patch ID please Pb4_zps932fa347
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:23 am

Hi Rover, where did you pick this up? Do you have a name to go with the blouse?

Wouter
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 am

Nice!
    zekehp
    zekehp

Post by zekehp Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 am

Very nice
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230933806656?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
    Rover

Post by Rover Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Wouter
    I found this in an antique store and the duffle bag does have his name and number stencilled on it. below are some pictures. Thanks Michael for the link to the tunic on ebay. Nice to see another example of the Canadian Army Occupation Force patch. I did a some more research and I think my example is what's called a returning home tunic. As it's missing the 2 collar fastening hooks. The service records are partly blacked out as the person had passed away within the last 20 years. If a soldier passed away over 20 years ago then his full service record will be made available. Something I didn't know about WWII service files until I ordered his.
    Thanks,
    Rover
    Patch ID please Duffle1_zps42249a3fPatch ID please Duffle3_zps1665844b
    Patch ID please Duffle2_zps9d59a1f8
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm

The 3 CID occupation force patches appear to be made of an atypical material. They look like they are a heavy cotton?
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 pm

The attached patches are canvas,and the used ones are a material called "melton".
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm

The sewn on patches are not the typical canvas material. Canvas does not have a grain like that. The materials used in insignia included melton, felt and canvas. The one on the tunic does not look like canvas. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/canadian_shoulder_title_primer/index.htm
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 pm

This is now the third time that I've seen the 3 CID Occupation Force patches sewn in this light canvas material. Even from the first time I encountered this style in person I felt that it was legitimate based on the evident age/wear on the example that I handled. The more examples that turn up the better I feel about it being authentic.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 am

Hi Steve, I don't think there is any question about authenticity of the patches. The CAOF had a lot of "liberty" for their insignia. Unlike the First Cdn Army and CMHQ units, the "rules" were relaxed and the shortages of some insignia led to the issue of non typical materials.
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:23 am

Hi Rover, it seems your man was not wounded during the war as he does not turn up in the C Scot R casualty lists. English made badges on the blouse. Really nice item, especially the duffle bag with the names on it.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:38 am

Just a note on the composition of the CAOF. The units in the 3 CID Occupation Force were not the same as the 3 CID. The units were reconstituted and redesignated. For example,the 1st Bn Canadian Scottish were redesignated 4 Canadian Scottish Regiment C.O.F. The occupation force battalions were manned by a combination of low point men (including some conscripts) and volunteers. Most of the wartime vets opted to return to Canada as soon as possible.
    From the details given above, he may have been a low point man, and not eligible for early repatriation.
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am

Hi ROver

Nice bag you picked up there, according to my book he was 24th(K)Fld Bde, RCA 108th Field Battery

nice tunic also

John
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

Bill wrote:The sewn on patches are not the typical canvas material. Canvas does not have a grain like that. The materials used in insignia included melton, felt and canvas. The one on the tunic does not look like canvas. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/canadian_shoulder_title_primer/index.htm

I have also seen this type of material a couple times, it is almost like a light denim. Like Bill stated, I have only seen this type of material on very late war and occupation force tunics.

Very nice grouping.
    Rover

Post by Rover Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Jonhno
    Thank you very much for the info on Thompson being in the RCA, this came as a surprise. I had
    another look at the service papers and I don't understand most of the abbreviations used. I went back
    and talked to the antique store owner where I found it and he told me the tunic and bag were brought in by the
    same person. But as I've found in the past with other items it doesn't necessarily mean they've always
    been together. The tunic may have been stored in the bag by someone just for convenience. I sure hope
    it's the same soldier or the tunic will have to remain anonymous. I've included a few cropped images of
    his service files and a few comments by me (in red), that may or may not be correct. If it could be
    determined by the documents that he did transfer into the Canadian Scottish that would be great. His
    full name is Lee Hassell Thompson. Thanks for the help guys.
    Rover
    Patch ID please P1_zpscb08c57e
    Patch ID please P2_zpsc21767a3
    Patch ID please P3_zps09fb3cf3
    Patch ID please P4_zpsdcfada18
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:11 pm

All of the entries for this person indicate Infantry (CIC=Cdn Inf Corps, CBITC=Cdn Basic Inf Training Ctre, CSR=Cdn Scottish Regt, CITC=Cdn Inf Trg Ctre, etc...) No indication of anything artillery for this man.)

Where you see CA, or CA(A) this means Cdn Army or Cdn Army (Active).

Clive
    Rover

Post by Rover Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Thank you Clive for your reply. I feel confident now the Duffle bag and the tunic belonged to the same person. Could have been another Thompson in the RCA. Good thing this wasn't a test on Canadian military abbreviations I would have failed miserably. But I've learned some things with this posting, which is always welcome.
    Regards,
    Rover
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 pm

I was just going by the number block indicated in Clives book "regimental numbers of the canadian army 1936-1960" ?
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:16 pm

Jonhno wrote:I was just going by the number block indicated in Clives book "regimental numbers of the canadian army 1936-1960" ?

Johnno, I checked the number and this now raises more questions. The Regimental number K6513 is indeed allotted to the RCA. However, this is a very early number and would not have been assigned to a soldier in Aug 1944. You will note that he was taken on strength (TOS) to the District Depot in Vancouver. Logically, as a late entry, his number should be K98001 to K98500.
    Without his service file I would have suggested that he joined early in the war, with the RCA, but was rejected for health, or other, reasons. As the war progressed and the need for infantry reinforcements grew, he re-enrolled but was given his original number. Are there earlier pages to the Service Record?

Clive
    Rover

Post by Rover Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 am

That was a good catch on the RCA number Johnno. I've done a search for the 24th(K) Fld Bde, RCA and found it has its origins in Fernie, B.C. This is in the East Kootenay district where the tunic was found. So maybe this explains the RCA number. Here's a brief history from wikipedia:
    Following WWI the 107th (East Kootenay) Regiment was redesignated The Kootenay Regiment on 12 March 1920. On 15 December 1936 it was converted to artillery and redesignated the 24th (Kootenay) Field Brigade, RCA. It was redesignated the 24th Reserve (Kootenay) Field Brigade, RCA, on 7 November 1940; the 24th Reserve (Kootenay) Field Regiment, RCA, on 15 March 1943; the 24th Field Regiment, RCA, on 1 April 1946; the 24th Heavy Anti- Aircraft Regiment, RCA,
    Maybe Thompson did enlist early as you say Clive but for some reason was rejected and when he re-enrolled was given his original number.
    His service files consists of only five pages but it mentions nothing about an earlier enlistment attempt unless I missed something. Below are the remaining parts of the service file images that have not already been shown.
    Would the Canadian Scottish have had a recruiting officer touring the province or do you think Thompson would have had to travel to Vancouver to enlist?

Thanks,
    Rover
    Patch ID please Q1_zps13897dbb
    Patch ID please Q2_zps12df9017
    Patch ID please Q3_zpsd9e42db1
    Patch ID please Q4_zps095f3628
    Patch ID please Q5_zpsa6d385b7

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:53 am