Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Royal Canadian Artillery insignia

devildog-dan

Royal Canadian Artillery insignia Empty Royal Canadian Artillery insignia

Post by devildog-dan Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Hello everyone, the new guy here with more questions. I am aware that during WWII the Royal Canadian Artillery wore their unit on a small blue cloth “flash” attached to the end of the epaulette. My question is: when did the arc-shaped “Royal Canadian Artillery” shoulder flash start to be worn? And at that point did they still wear their unit flash on the epaulette?
    Next question: is there a difference between WWII period British and Canadian metal artillery cap insignia (wheeled cannon)?
    Thank you, Daniel
    Bill
    Bill

Royal Canadian Artillery insignia Empty Re: Royal Canadian Artillery insignia

Post by Bill Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:40 pm

The wide Second World War titles came into wear in 1941 and were obsolete when the Canadian Army overseas was demobilized in 1945/45. The fully spelled out Royal Canadian Artillery shoulder title was approved in the summer of 1945, initally for wear by the Canadian Army Pacific Force, but with the disbandment of that formation the title was taken into wear by the regular and reserve army. Ih the post war period a narrower epaulette title was worn in conjunction with the full RCA title. There are RCA personnel who only wear the regimental title without a subunit epaulette title.
    There is a difference between the Brit and Cdn pattern. The barrel of the field gun is thicker on one... and I can't remember which is which off the top of my head.
    devildog-dan

Post by devildog-dan Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Thanks, if you find out who has the fat barrel on the artillery badge (Brit or Canadian), please let me know. Dan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:02 pm