Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ?

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ? Empty Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ?

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Fourty-nine Canadian men fought at the Battle of Gettysburg in the 24th Michigan. On July 1st over half were killed, wounded or taken prisoner at McPherson's Woods. [Note: The 24th Michigan was part of the famous Iron Brigade.]

Three men from New Brunswick were killed defending Little Round Top on July 2nd. They were members of the 20th Maine. They were Aaron Adams, age 27; George Leach, age 25 and Alexander Lester, age 18.

Two dozen Canadian men died in three days of fighting at Gettysburg.

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ? Empty Re: Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ?

Post by mk1rceme Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Somewhere I have a pic of a grave in Red Deer, Alberta. The occupant was a civil war vet. Not sure if he was Canadian or just moved here after the war. New York Regiment, Company K...that's all I can remember.

...still looking for it.

Michael Reintjes

Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ? Empty Re: Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ?

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Although I don't believe he was a Gettysburg soldier there is an actual Civil war KIA in the old cemetery in St Thomas Ontario...it was visited recently by a Civil war assn from the States and they left some flags after a small ceremony....I,ll try to dig up photos..
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Whoops! Not New York Regiment...Wisconsin. Could not find the pic of the grave but I found him online.

http://www.suvcwdb.org/home/records.php?action=view&id=16544

Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:58 pm

After the war quite a few veterans found their way to Australia and Canada.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Aha! Knew I had it somewhere...

Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ? Civilw10

Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 am

Neat shot for sure..the reason I brought up the St Thomas grave as this soldier was actually killed in Action,put on ice and shipped home to Elgin county,which one would believe is highly unusual...I really don't know about any other Civil War KIA graves in this area at least.
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:39 am

some great links on the subject...
    http://www.start.ca/users/joneil/cw.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_St._Thomas_Church
    http://www.execulink.com/~firby/history.html#OldChurchYard
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:44 am

Looks as if Octaviuss Wallace was shot through the head at the battle of Williamsburg...24th Michigan...although I think the grave says 2nd Michigan so he was prbably 2nd Michigan..
    Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ? PatrickWallaceStone

Last edited by Michael Reintjes on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:52 am

http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/online-publications/civil-war-veterans
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 am

WALLACE, Robert Octavius

Octavius Wallace was born 1835 in St Thomas, the youngest of nine children of Patrick Wallace and Agnes McKay. (Aunt of K.W. McKay. the long time clerk of Elgin County).

The 1851 census for St. Thomas, Yarmouth Township, Elgin County lists him as Octovas Wallace, age 17, blacksmith, born Canada West, mother, Agnes Wallace, age 50 born Scotland, and a widow and a Ann M., 20 or 30 born England (may be a sister).

Octavus is also given in the 1860 census for Kalamazoo, Michiganwith his mother and two sisters. He is 27, and a master blacksmith. He enlisted as a corporal for three years at Detroit Michigan on 25 May 1861 in 2

nd Regiment Michigan Volunteers. He was on the muster roll of company "I" for May 1862 when he was killed in battle on 5 May 1862 at Williamsburg Virginia.
    For photos of his fathers gravestone in the Old English Churchyard Walnut Street,

St Thomas see: http://ca.geocities.com/docmilner/pictures.htm

It is believed that Octavius is also buried in the same plot and a GAR marker was placed on the grave in 2001.

Patrick Wallace /died Mar. 28, 1839 / AE 47 / Octavius A. / his son killed at the battle of / Williamsburg Va./ May 5, 1862 /AE 26 / a Corporal of Co. I 2d / Reg Mich. V el.
    helm
    helm

Post by helm Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:55 am

This is an old topic but wanted to add a name and picture. John Wesley Miller from Peterborough Canada enlisted in the 6th New York Cavalry at the age of 15. He was wounded and taken prisoner on the second day at Gettysburg. JW Miller attended the 1938 Gettysburg reunion which was the 75th anniversary of the battle. He may have been the only Canadian veteran attending. He attempted to enlist during WWI but was rejected due to his age. Photo taken at Little Lake Cemetery in Peterborough.

[img]Canadians at the Battle of Gettysburg? ? ? John20Wesley20Miller1[/img]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 am