Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
GCR817
Infanteer
6 posters

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Empty Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

Post by Infanteer Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:17 pm

I've been wanting one of these for quite some time and expected to pick up a common type III at some point. So, when I saw this type II come up for auction and noticed that it had the C broad arrow etched into the blade I knew that I had found the knife that I had been waiting for. What's also nice is that the knife has not been import marked with "England" like most of the knives available in the USA have. The scabbard is import marked so it was married up with the knife at some point by a previous owner. I know that a certain number of these knives were acquired by the military for official issue to selected troops such as paratroopers but beyond that I'm not certain how common the issue was. These knives were also available for private purchase and I know that some combat troops bought their own but of course those wouldn't have been marked with the C broad arrow. Does anyone have any more info on the official issue of FS knives to Canadian troops?

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife My_col34
    Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife My_col35
    Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife My_col36
    GCR817
    GCR817

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Empty Re: Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

Post by GCR817 Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:39 pm

That is an awesome knife and I really envy you for having it. Canadian marked ones are quite rare from what I understand and most often are electric pencilled with the C/Broad Arrow, although some are die struck.

I don't know much about them as far was issue goes. I would suspect mostly 1 Can Para, but who knows? I met an Saskatoon Light Infantry vet years ago who had one issued for the Spitzbergen Raid, but couldn't say if it was Canadian issue marked.

Certainly a great knife!

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Empty Re: Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife

Post by mk1rceme Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 pm

That is a fantastic looking knife Steve! Love the condition.

Gramps told me he was never issued a good fixed blade knife...just a clasp knife. Then again, he wasn't a paratrooper or sf. He privately purchased a William Rodgers Stiletto Dagger before he landed in Sicily...which I now have.

Last edited by mk1rceme on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:12 pm

GCR817 wrote:That is an awesome knife and I really envy you for having it. Canadian marked ones are quite rare from what I understand and most often are electric pencilled with the C/Broad Arrow, although some are die struck.

I don't know much about them as far was issue goes. I would suspect mostly 1 Can Para, but who knows? I met an Saskatoon Light Infantry vet years ago who had one issued for the Spitzbergen Raid, but couldn't say if it was Canadian issue marked.

Certainly a great knife!

Electric penned C broadarrow, who would have thunk! It looked hand done to me and I would have passed on it..now I know better. Thanks for sharing the knife and the information, guys!

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 pm

jholl72 wrote:

Electric penned C broadarrow, who would have thunk! It looked hand done to me and I would have passed on it..now I know better. Thanks for sharing the knife and the information, guys!

It was hand done.... I have several other wartime items with electric pencil C broad arrow markings and RCAF markings. My understanding is this was done at the unit level. Regardless, it is definitely legitimate and thankfully the seller had no idea what a C broad arrow is and apparently neither did the other bidders as the knife was listed in the US section of the auction and sold for a very reasonable price IMO.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Infanteer90 wrote:
    jholl72 wrote:

It was hand done.... I have several other wartime items with electric pencil C broad arrow markings and RCAF markings. My understanding is this was done at the unit level. Regardless, it is definitely legitimate and thankfully the seller had no idea what a C broad arrow is and apparently neither did the other bidders as the knife was listed in the US section of the auction and sold for a very reasonable price IMO.

Congrats on a great knife and at a great price, it's always nice to be the guy with right knowledge. Reminds of the WWI tankers mask I picked up at auction, listed as a 19th century stone cutters mask.LOL!

Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:39 pm

The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was issued the U.S. Marine Raider Stiletto which was manufactured by the Camillus Cutlery Company (of Camillus, New York). Their U.S. made stiletto was identical to the Raiders except it had a parkerized blade and the hilt without the U.S.M.C. scroll and maker's name etched on the blade. It is believed that as part of the original production run; 500 parkerized units were manufactured.
    Roy C. Rushton who served as a sniper with the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion reported about the stiletto:

"I was issued the knife you mention in 1943 or 1944 by our Quartermaster stores. I recall that it was darkened but I am unable to recall what was imprinted on the blade. Our knives were always referred to as "Killing Knives" and they were used to dispatch German soldiers on at least two occasions. Some training was provided on how to attack or defend from the front and how to attack from the rear." ”

— Roy C. Rushton

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Attachment

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Here's another example:

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife U.S._Marine_Raider_Stiletto2
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:54 pm

A photograph of Roy C. Ruston wearing his stiletto:

Seaforth Highlander
    Seaforth Highlander

Post by Seaforth Highlander Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Canadian issue marked F-S Fighting knives are rare and I have seen them in various styles.
    1st Model F-S with "S" guard - C/|\ stamped into pommel (I sold it)
    2nd model F-S with straight guard C/|\ electic pencilled onto blade (carried by a buddy in Vietnam and now in Canadian War Museum)
    3rd Model stamped on side of guard.

303 Colin
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Can you clarify what you mean about the 3rd pattern being stamped on the side of the guard? Do you mean on the narrow edge of the guard? Or do I totally misunderstand what you are saying?
    Seaforth Highlander
    Seaforth Highlander

Post by Seaforth Highlander Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Affirmative - a tiny C/|\ on the narrow edge of the guard. Grip was the 3rd model ringed grip.

Colin
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm

I wonder if I've ever handled a Canadian marked example and didn't realize it hmmm This is good to know and I'll make sure to inspect any 3rd pattern knives for a C broad arrow from now on. Thanks!
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Did you see this ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-1-CAN-PARA-Knife-/200797670756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0794d64

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Kgrhqr13

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Ensign10

Canadian issued Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife Flag_canada

Dsizzle likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:54 pm