Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover

GCR817
    GCR817

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Empty Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 am

After years of searching, I have finally obtained a Winter White Cover for a Mk II helmet. It is constructed of a cotton material with machine stitched seams and cloth craw tapes for tightening it up on the helmet. The whole thing is well fitted and definately designed for the Mk II helmet. This one is unmarked inside, but the construction and material is the same as a 1944 British marked set of winter whites that I have (shirt and pants).
    I have included a photo of the Lincoln and Welland Regiment wearing the same in 1945.

Geoff
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00110
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00210
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00310
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00410
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Lw10
    Wouter
    Wouter

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Empty Re: Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover

Post by Wouter Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:08 am

Nice item and a very well known photograph Geoff. I think that they would use what was available to them, including sheets and pillowcovers.

What would this fellow be wearing? He is Queens own Rifles man in the vicinity of Nijmegen during the winter of 44/45.

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover QORNijmegen
    GCR817
    GCR817

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Empty Re: Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 am

Hi Wouter,

Nice photo and one I haven't seen before. It looks to me like the white top and he has pulled the hood up over his head, no helmet.

I'll take some pics of my snow suit and send them to you for comparison.

Cheers,

Geoff
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 am

Wouter wrote:Nice item and a very well known photograph Geoff. I think that they would use what was available to them, including sheets and pillowcovers.

What would this fellow be wearing? He is Queens own Rifles man in the vicinity of Nijmegen during the winter of 44/45.

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover QORNijmegen

I think you are quite correct about improvised helmet covers being worn as well. I know the US forces did this at the Battle of the Bulge. Apparently, lace embroidered table cloths were popular, or so I have heard at least!

Geoff
    GCR817
    GCR817

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Empty Winter Whites

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am

Some pics of my winter whites. They are dated 1943.

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00111
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00211
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00311
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00411
    Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover 00510
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 am

Were these snow suits also made in Canada or just in Britain?
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:38 am

Hadn't noticed before, but the Linc & Winks have camo nets over the winter cover. Wonder what would be added? Hessian in white / grey etc? Stuff added would break up the helmet line.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 am

Bill wrote:Hadn't noticed before, but the Linc & Winks have camo nets over the winter cover. Wonder what would be added? Hessian in white / grey etc? Stuff added would break up the helmet line.

That is agood question. I know today, we rarely wear any scrim over top of the white helmet covers. Although our nets will fit over them (black though, so not so good). If you were patrolling in a wooded area, some dark scrim on white might be a good idea.

Do you see that their snow suits are very dirty? Even today we dirty our whites up to break up the outline.
    Rob
    Rob

Post by Rob Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:05 am

Geoff

Congratulations on the find! I have been in the same boat for years, having the camouflage outfit but not a helmet cover.

Now that you have posted the pic of the smock and trousers i have realised that the items I have are very different from yours. My smock has pockets and seems to be much heavier material than yours. I will dig them out and take some photos to compare.

These things always get more complicated don't they? :)

Rob
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 am

Rob wrote:Geoff

Congratulations on the find! I have been in the same boat for years, having the camouflage outfit but not a helmet cover.

Now that you have posted the pic of the smock and trousers i have realised that the items I have are very different from yours. My smock has pockets and seems to be much heavier material than yours. I will dig them out and take some photos to compare.

These things always get more complicated don't they? :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, there never seems to be an end to the variations. I think what you have is classed as the "parka", whereas mine are "snow suits". Why have two?

Cheers,

Geoff
    Rob
    Rob

Post by Rob Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 am

GCR817 wrote:
    Hi Rob,

Yes, there never seems to be an end to the variations. I think what you have is classed as the "parka", whereas mine are "snow suits". Why have two?

Cheers,

Geoff

OK I have them here. The items I have are labelled "Smock, Snow Suit" and "Trousers, Snow Suit" and both are dated 1942, although whether there is any significance in the name I don't know.

As mine are earlier dated, it may be that your items replaced mine by 1943. Anyway, I will get some pix organised so you can see.

One thing I have noticed, all the Lincoln and Welland lads from your photo have a map pocket on the left leg of their whites. They also seem to be wearing inflatable lifebelts for some reason.

Rob
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 am

Rob wrote:
    GCR817 wrote:
    Hi Rob,

Cheers,

Geoff

OK I have them here. The items I have are labelled "Smock, Snow Suit" and "Trousers, Snow Suit" and both are dated 1942, although whether there is any significance in the name I don't know.

As mine are earlier dated, it may be that your items replaced mine by 1943. Anyway, I will get some pix organised so you can see.

There are other pictures of the same crew in a canoe on

One thing I have noticed, all the Lincoln and Welland lads from your photo have a map pocket on the left leg of their whites. They also seem to be wearing inflatable lifebelts for some reason.

Rob

They are wearing life belts because they were doing canoe training prior to assualting Kapelsche Veer

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Canoes10
    Rob
    Rob

Post by Rob Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Here are the pix as promised:

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Snowsu10Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Snowsu11Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Snowsu12

Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Snowsu13Mk II Winter White Camoflauge Cover Snowsu15

They are made of a fairly heavy cotton duck material, and are fitted with standard chocolate brown plastic buttons, as found on all mid-war British battledress.

Rob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:13 am