Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Didier
    Didier

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Empty Re: Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Post by Didier Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:59 am

You may be right as far as the bandolier is concerned, but I was under the assumption that the men within one Bren Group would have carried as much ammo as they could.

There is one instance at least of a corporal armed with a Sten gun carrying what seems to be Bren magazines in one of his pouches (or are they Sten mags side by side?): that was on D-Day, inland from Gold Beach (50th British Infantry Division).

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 50th_d10
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 50th_d11

I do have a few Sten gun magazines, but they are not in the best of conditions.

Once again a picture taken during the early days of the D-Day landings:

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 A6b2e010

My Sten gun is a mere Spanish replica (Denix). I have added a genuine WW2 skeleton stock and a Sten magazine to it to make it look a little less cheap. Demilled Sten guns are far too expensive in France to my point of view and, thanks to EU legislation, they now have to be welded into one solid block of metal  banghead

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Dsc_0438
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Dsc_0439

Last edited by Didier on Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Empty Re: Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Post by Nico62fr Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:26 am

I had a St Etienne neutralized Sten 25 years ago, but I sold it when I stopped collecting. Now I'll have to get a Denix one.

Here comes a cap badge received today :

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 32829010
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:40 am

Very nice indeed! I think you will need a scarlet backing to use it on a beret.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 S-l40010

(I do not own the beret)

I have moved the bandolier further down, by the way.
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img20295
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Post by Nico62fr Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:35 pm

Yes, I know this beret, but size is too small for us.
    So for reenactment purposes I opted for a postwar Belgian beret, which is not too bad.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 2023-013
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:32 am

Hello to all,

My Battle of Normandy mannequin has benefited from a few additional items lately, among other things a Canadian small pack that came complete with its original L straps. Unfortunately, the haversack and its straps definitiely look as if they had been blancoed white at some time, which, I suppose, would have been much more suitable for an Italian Campaign mannequin.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img20185
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img20186

I should get within the next few days a British general service shovel - the shovel (or spade, if you prefer) comes from the area directly across the Orne river, barely a few miles away from Sword Beach, so I suppose there is a chance it was left there by either British or Canadian troops in 1944.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Bc85c210
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Bc86ac10

The GS shovel is Broad Arrow marked and was made by BRADES, but the question remains whether Canadian troops used British GS shovels during the Battle of Normandy.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Empty British T Handle Shovel

Post by edstorey Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:00 pm

Yes, Canadians used British T handle shovels....

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img_7310

Didier likes this post

edstorey
    edstorey

Post by edstorey Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:16 am

Histoire and Collections had just published this book.   It is in French and only 40 Euros, you do not have to know the language to figure out what is being documented, plus the book is full of photographs.   Owning a copy will answer any questions you might have.

https://histoireetcollections.com/en/

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Le_sol11

https://histoireetcollections.com/en/

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:44 am

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img20187

I think they must have reprinted the original 2003 version of the book I have at home. Could you check this is the same book?
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img_2071

Last edited by Didier on Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:51 am

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img_2070
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img_2069
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img_2068

Here is the GS shovel: I have tried to clean it, using clear water for the shaft and WD40 for the metal.
    Under the appropriate lighting, I think I can barely read a faint 1943 on the metal.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Empty Le Soldat Canadien

Post by edstorey Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:18 am

Yes, it is a reprint of the 2003 book but it has been updated with corrections and has plenty of new images.

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:51 am

I bought Jean Bouchery's newer edition of the book more than a month ago: apart from the wealth of photos added, what is worth mentioning is the fact that the colours are now truer to reality. Some of the uniforms in the first edition were definitely much greener than life Rolling Eyes

In the meantime my Canuck got some company: a British Royal Engineers officer landing on Gold Beach on D-Day and an R.E.M.E. staff sergeant at the Mulberry B harbour of Arromanches during the summer of 1944.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 0110
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 0510
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00213
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00212
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00311
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00411
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00511
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00711
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Img00811
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Imga2010
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:46 am

Very nice mannequins. You have an good eye for detail.
    Only in the early days of the d-day landings officers wore the full webbing set, they soon found out that being recognizable as an officicer was quite dangerous............

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:22 am

LSR wrote:Very nice mannequins. You have an good eye for detail.
    Only in the early days of the d-day landings officers wore the full webbing set, they soon found out that being recognizable as an officicer was quite dangerous............

Thank you.
    You're absolutely right: after D-Day most junior officers would wear webbing pouches. From what I could see, only senior officers stuck to their officer's sets.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 S-l16022
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 1a16c911
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 7829f110
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question - Page 2 Z447-l10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:31 pm