Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification

vbergman

WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification Empty WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification

Post by vbergman Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 pm

This is a hand-coloured photograph of what I believe is a Canadian World War One serviceman. I’m hoping to use this image in a publication I’m working on relating to the history of my community. The identification of this man is unknown, but I would like to include some details about his rank and which branch of the military he served in.
    I believe the insignia on the man’s shoulder is a “Metal Shoulder Title.” It appears to have the letters “RFC” on it. Any insight into his rank, branch of the military and the decorations he has on his uniform would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Vic

WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification 2022.003.0001

mk1rceme likes this post

Bill
    Bill

WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification Empty Re: WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification

Post by Bill Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:33 am

Hi. The uniform is battledress, which was the standard British and Commonwealth army uniform of the Second World War. The medal bar on his chest shows First World War ribbons for the War Medal and Victory Medal. The third ribbon is for the Meritorious Service Medal. The metal title is hard to see, but it is NOT the RFC. His rank is sergeant as shown by the three chevrons. Hope this helps.
    vbergman

WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification Empty Re: WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification

Post by vbergman Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:06 am

Hi Bill,

It's good to know it's a Second World War uniform, not a World War One uniform, and that medal bar shows First World War ribbons. He must have served in both wars? The angle in which the photograph was taken makes it difficult to read the metal title. I have attached a cropped version of the metal title. Not sure whether it makes it easier to read. Thanks for your reply. Your information was very helpful.

Vic

WWI Serviceman Uniform Identification Crop
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:39 pm

The shoulder titles appear to be ALH, Alberta Light Horse, which is the 15th Alberta Light Horse, although hard to tell the cap badge does appear to be from that unit.

vbergman

Post by vbergman Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:43 pm

Thanks for the info. The shoulder titles do look like ALH. The photograph was taken by an Alberta photographer, so I'm sure you are correct. Thanks!

Vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:38 pm