Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges

Wouter
    Wouter

91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges Empty 91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges

Post by Wouter Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 am

Gentlemen,

I have been looking for a pair of 91st Canadian Highlanders militia shoulder badges for a while. I have seen an image of an embroidered, large '91' on what looks to be a dress uniform. The shoulder badges I am seeking are supposed to be metal and copper coloured. Has anyone ever seen or encountered these?

Regards

Wouter
    Bill
    Bill

91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges Empty Re: 91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges

Post by Bill Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:05 am

The pre-1914 militia wore brass numerals on the shoulder straps. They are not easy to find, and are often mixed up with the CEF numerals. The embroidered shoulder straps were on the scarlet doublets, and as ccwd indicates, they were bandsmen tunics.
    Wouter
    Wouter

91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges Empty Re: 91st Canadian Highlanders shoulder badges

Post by Wouter Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:33 am

Hi Bill, thanks for your reply. I am always happy to learn from you. I do not know much about CEF numerals. I only know those that were worn on the collar, C above the battalion number. Do you mean those? My knowledge is rather limited in this regard, I know the 16th wore 'CANADIAN' over 'SCOTTISH' on their shoulders.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:24 am

Hi Wouter
    The CEF wore battalion numerals for most of the 260 infantry battalions. These were just a numeral, no
    C. The C/x numerals were worn by the Canadian Corps infantry bns. (Plus a couple of other units.) The were a collar badge, not a shoulder numeral, though some images show them being worn on the shoulder strap.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 am