Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

My webbing Sets

Warspite
    Warspite

My webbing Sets Empty My webbing Sets

Post by Warspite Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:13 am

I thought I would share my 64 and 82 pattern webbing sets with you. I don't suppose these are particularly hard to find in Canada, but they are virtually unobtainable in the UK. Happily a very helpful collector and writer in Canada, Andrew Iarocci, helped hook me up with these sets and I am very proud of both of them. I do have quite a few other bits as well, but these two set ups are the ones I have completely assembled.
    My webbing Sets 64-pat10
    My webbing Sets 82-pat10
    I am now slowly filling out all the pouches etc. but it is a slow and drawn out process!
    Ian B
    Ian B

My webbing Sets Empty Points of Wear

Post by Ian B Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 am

Good day Warspite,

Both sets are looking nice and bring back some no-so-fond memories.

Just a couple of points (pickin" fly poop out of pepper).

On the 64 pattern: 1) water bottle and carrier was worn to the left of the rear Y strap.
    2) Respirator and carrier could be worn on the belt, but was normally worn by itself using the issued shoulder strap
    that came as part of its EIS.
    3) I'm sure that you know you are missing the bayonet frog, which would be worn on the left hip, in front of (or to the left of, in the
    picture) the water bottle carrier.

On the 82 pattern: 1) the KFS/knife carrier was normally worn on the right rear of the belt, between the butt pack and the small utility pouch.
    (otherwise, your layout is looking good!)

If you really want to get anal, for the 64 pattern,you will want to look for the chest magazine carrier for the C-2 rifle (also the section cleaning kit, which the C-2 gunners were issued with). For the 82 pattern, there were magazine pouches for the FN 7.62 mm C-1 rifle before we were issued the 5.56 mm C-7 rifle (the mag pouches were not interchangeable due to the size differences of each mag). And, of course there are the respective holsters for the Browning HP 9 mm service pistol

And I can't quite recall if the 3 mag holder for the SMG was for the 64 or 82 pattern. However, when the C-8 carbine came in with the C-7, it took the place of the SMG (both C-7 and C-8 being full auto), so those pouches were no longer issued.

Good luck in your search for all the other pieces.

Ian B
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

My webbing Sets Empty Re: My webbing Sets

Post by Tankermike Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 am

The three mag carrier was the 82 pattern
    Ian B
    Ian B

Post by Ian B Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks for refreshing my memory, Mike.

Cheers,

Ian
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah, back in the day we had stuff magazines in our pockets or some would use a 50 pattern pouch, or just stuff it into your shirt.
    Warspite
    Warspite

Post by Warspite Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:32 am

Thanks chaps, I will rearrange the elements next time I get it out. I do have some of the other pouches as well, like the sterling mag pouch and the different variations of ammo and utility pouch for the 82 pattern. It has been great fun putting these together, and I feel sorry for the chaps issued the 64 pattern set. Considering in the UK we introduced 58 pattern six years earlier, that system 9for all its faults) is leaps and bounds ahead of the 64 patt stuff!
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 am

The idea was to put your FN magazines in the pockets of your shirt or jacket, the pockets were nylon lined for strength and made to hold the clips. But in practice it wasn't a good idea, running around in the bush the magazines when full were heavy and could fall out. The only time it really worked was in the combat jacket or jump smock as they were a heavier coat.
    But if you were issued the SMG you were out of luck if you had three or four 30 round magazines, it was like carrying a bunch of metal bananas around.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

My P82 gear stinks and is sort of whitish on it. Tried cleaning it but still stinks. I trust your set is not like this?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Ian B
    Ian B

My webbing Sets Empty Re: Bad Odour

Post by Ian B Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 am

Good day Cliff,

Got a hunch the odour off your 82 Patt gear might be mould/mildew or breakdown of the water proofing applied. I think it happens when the gear is stored for long periods in dark packed containers.

Have you tried the usual method to remove smells? Good soak and scrub in 50/50 water, rubbing alcohol, then good scrub with soapy water, rinse and hang to air dry (don't put through the dryer).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 am

Hanging in the hot sun does work as well

To kill the mold try putting it in the freezer for a few days

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content