Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Early 5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet

ypres
    ypres

Early  5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet Empty Early 5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet

Post by ypres Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

I found this a little while ago. It is an early rimless, mild steel (Magnetic) example. I think it was refurbed at a some point since it has a later pattern liner and the badge on the front was repainted from red to yellow. Perhaps when the liner was redone it had a repaint? The crack to the back is also interesting. I think the milder steel in the early helmets tended to crack this way which led to the addition of manganese which made the steel much stronger in later helmets.

All the best,

Ypres

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Bill
    Bill

Early  5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet Empty Re: Early 5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet

Post by Bill Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:50 am

Nice.
    Jonhno

Early  5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet Empty Re: Early 5th Western Cavalry Brodie Helmet

Post by Jonhno Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:38 am

very nice helmet,
    swamprat_12
    swamprat_12

Post by swamprat_12 Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Very nice indeed!
    matthewsq
    matthewsq

Post by matthewsq Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Great helmet. I have one of these early war office helmets (non magnetic, though) and it has all sorts of ripples in the metal. They seem pretty flimsy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:29 am