Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Peterborough show and sale pick ups.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Peterborough show and sale pick ups.  Empty Peterborough show and sale pick ups.

Post by pylon1357 Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:20 am

I attended the Peterborough Military show and sale last Saturday (October 17, 2015) I must say it was the BEST show for me in a very very long time, if not the absolute best ever for me. I have always enjoyed shows in Armouries as I like the architecture, displays and such, that always adorn the walls. Plus they are usually a little smaller and less attended (yes I know for a seller it sucks) The show lacked those tables of fake Pakistan Crap that seems to have creeped into the larger shows. I think it was pretty well attended overall. Louis Grimshaw, and Hugh Crawford were both there, so was Carl Black, as well as many of local lads who don't travel too far. I was quite surprised to bump into a couple of members there (John S., CampX, and John Cameron) although I am not sure if Mr. Cameron is a member here or not. Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

I have returned to my roots, that of C.E.F. medal collecting. I have a very broad theme overall in regards to C.E.F. medals. One that if my wife were to find out, she would certainly end my dreams. I would love to have a collection that would represent each of the C.E.F. units that went overseas. That mean many many single BWM entitlements.

This coupled with my Irish Regiment of Canada Collection, and my love of the R.C.E.M.E. ( being a civilian mechanic), you will see in the photos below, why I am so happy with my results of this show. And NO I still came home with cash in my pocket.

First photo shows the bulk of my acquisitions. A post war Irish Brassard, WWII era Sterling silver sweetheart broach pin, 3 small Irish buttons (surprisingly difficult to find) I also picked up a very nice RCEME Officers gilt cap badge with screw post fasteners, a tailors mini Mons Star trio ribbon bar still mounted on the card, and last but not least, although not marked as such, I believe to be a No. 2 wound stripe. The backings are usually marked No2 or No4, however this one is not marked and has bendable tabs consistent with the No 2 Style.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This second photo is of a WWI CEF trio named to an original member of the 21st Bn CEF, plus singles to original members of the 175th Bn CEF and the 226th Bn CEF. These singles are not common at all, and managing to add an additional 2 to my collection without prearranging a deal, is even less common. The two singles were part of a resent lot at the Jeffery Hoare Auction. I had bid on this lot and lost out. Turns out I was up against a collector/dealer who was determined to get the 81st Bn example that was in that lot. The others, he had up on his table.

A close up of the RCEME badge, the Irish Broach pin and the broach pin makers mark, Anyone have any ideas of this markers mark?? I have struck out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Canadian Corporal
    Canadian Corporal

Peterborough show and sale pick ups.  Empty Re: Peterborough show and sale pick ups.

Post by Canadian Corporal Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:59 pm

Nice haul, Cliff!
    48th
    48th

Peterborough show and sale pick ups.  Empty Re: Peterborough show and sale pick ups.

Post by 48th Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Some nice items there.
    Sounds like a good show, I might just have to check it out one day.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Peterborough show and sale pick ups.  Empty Latest Haul.

Post by edstorey Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Nice stuff Cliff!

ED
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 am

Thanks guys, I was very pleased with my take at the show. The 2 single BWMs for me were a shock, as I lost out on the Jeffery Hoare auction where they were sold off. The trio to the 21st was a great price as well.

Anytime I can add new medals I am quite happy, but to be able to score some nice Irish items, just put it over the top for me. I am looking forward to the Ottawa show, but budget restraints are going to hold me back somewhat. With winter coming, I have to do the adult thing and put money toward other winterization things.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    CampX

Post by CampX Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:05 am

There was a VERY low turn out of buyers at that show...far less than half than other shows heald there.
    I heard a few sellers talking about not doing the show again, My partner won't be setting up again, and I don't think I will.

Just no advertising for the show..and as it was held a month later than usual, I tyhink very few knew about it.

Dean

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm