Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+4
Bill
barriefield-brian
John S
edstorey
8 posters

Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th  Empty Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th

Post by pylon1357 Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:42 am

Well the Ottawa show is now in the past. I have to say, one of the best, if not the best show for me.

I was able to close out two sub-collections. I got a single BWM named to a man in the Manitoba Regiment, and I got my Korea War Service Badge to close out the War Service Badge collection. Now all I have to do is find the other badges in this mess.

It was great to finally meet Lorne in person. Bill was there, as was Ed, Dean, Clive, JohnS. Again John, many thanks for the help in regards to Jim. I will be closing the deal for the Varlow casualty group next Sunday morning. I also saw and spoke with many of the other regulars. Always a great time for me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    edstorey
    edstorey

Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th  Empty Ottawa Show

Post by edstorey Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:18 am

Cliff:

Good to see you at the show, I will agree that this particular show had some interesting stuff.

ED
    John S
    In Memoriam

Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th  Empty thoughts on Ottawa Militaria Show.....

Post by John S Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Cliff:
    Glad to be of assistance.
    I wish I could have found a badge or two for my own collection at the show, but sometimes that is the way it goes!
    Cheers,
    John S
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th  Empty Re: Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th

Post by barriefield-brian Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:10 pm

Was looking forward to attending but have been very sick. Am home now from hospital but very weak. Cheers Brian
    Bill
    Bill

Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th  Empty Re: Thoughts on the Ottawa Militaria Show April 25th

Post by Bill Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:14 am

Always good to see old collecting friends and make new ones, and to renew and rejuvenate after a long cold Canadian winter.
    I always find the Ottawa show a bit different and never know what to expect. This time around was no exception. I picked up several pieces of cloth for my collection which was a pleasant surprise, and I sold enough material to make the day more than worthwhile.
    Just a note, the fall show has been moved to October 10th, the Saturday of the Thanksgiving Weekend. Apparently we were hissed out of the 31st by a cat show.
    Canadian Corporal
    Canadian Corporal

Post by Canadian Corporal Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 am

The Ottawa show was Saturday? Damm, I was hoping to make it there. I was there last year and found some great items for my collection. At least now I know there is a show on October 10th. Cliff, keep me in the loop for shows in the Ottawa region please. See you then.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:44 am

Canadian Corporal wrote:The Ottawa show was Saturday? Damm, I was hoping to make it there. I was there last year and found some great items for my collection. At least now I know there is a show on October 10th. Cliff, keep me in the loop for shows in the Ottawa region please. See you then.

Yes John, that was my bad. I don't think I posted the show this time. I was so involved in my own little world.

Brian, I do hope you are on the mend, I was not aware you were ill.

As I had had said in the topic opener, this show for me was the best one for me in resent memory. In terms of completing 2 sub themes, and meeting up with many fellow collectors. I think on one the best meetings for me was to see the look on Stephane's face when I thanked for the Cassidy Pair, then asked if he had researched them. He certainly was surprised to find out Cassidy was entitled to the Military Medal.

Of course I realize this show result is a one off, and it will be a hard level of success to maintain.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    CampX

Post by CampX Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:20 pm

I had a lot of fun doing the show this time. Got a lot of people upset with me as I do not as a rule "make deals" My prices are low enough, usually far lower than anyone else having the same thing, and as this is a hobby for me, I don't really care if I sell an item or not.

I actually bought a couple of things for my own collection, that is a first time in a long time I have done that at a show.

Dean
    lorne19
    lorne19

Post by lorne19 Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 pm

This was my first time attending the Ottawa show and my first time ever has a vender at a show and I have to echo Cliff's comments.  Certainly the best show I've ever been to although I haven't attended many.  It was also a real pleasure to meet so many people who share my passion and especially a pleasure to meet so many forum members face to face for the first time.  My thanks to Cliff especially for taking a few moments to put faces to a few familiar names and introducing me to a few great guys.  Can't wait for the next show in October, I'll be there with a table again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:32 pm