Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+6
mk1rceme
pylon1357
Ian B
jholl72
Wouter
Cameraguy
10 posters

Cameraguy's D-Day anniversary trip

Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Cameraguy's D-Day anniversary trip Empty Re: Cameraguy's D-Day anniversary trip

Post by Cameraguy Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:50 pm

After a few requests,I thought I would let you all in on how the trip went.

We stayed at a small town called Barbery,not far fro Caen. Afer getting situated and checking out the area (where over 100 Canadians were killed by friendly fire/bombing) I and my group visited the Canadian and British beaches. We laid NS flags with poppys's at cemeteries and took photos of each with a NNSH glengarry (worn by an "original" NNSH). We did this with all graves of all NNSH's who were buried in Beny sur Mere and Brettevile sur Laize. This idea was for those family members who could not make it to France are able to see that there relatives have not been forgotten.

We also toasted the NNSH's and other Veterans on Juno Beach on the morning of June 6th.  

The trip to Normandy was an amazing trip of tribute and dedication to specifically the NNSH's,but to all Veterans in the end.  

Being the narcissist I am, I wore an authentic period BD on one day...the day that was the coolest as it was quite hot most of the time.

The shoulder flashes,Div patches,puttees,socks and shirt were all from NNSH D-Day Veteran Lt.Andrew Clark Gow (September 11, 1918/September 21, 2013). I like to think he would be proud he went back to Normandy on the 70th anniversary,and was remembered with all of his comrades in such a way.

Trousers are from NNSH D-Day Support Co.Veteran E. Latham,tunic is a 1944 dated officers I purchased from France. It was wee tight,but I had to diet even to fit into it then! It was worth it though. The tam was purchased from a NS dealer,and the officers hat badge was gifted to me. Webbing was bought from collectors,and some donated to me for the cause.  

For those who are thinking I did,it was not worn by me to take on the Germans or anyone else while there,I did not beat it up,I did not damage it in any way. It is now my prized possession. It was an amazing,amazing trip that saw the sale of approximately two hundred of my self produced DVD's "The Fighting North Novies;Into the Fire!" pay the way for the curator of the NSH museum in Amherst NS,as well as pay for the accommodation and transportation of Master Corporal Paul Franklin,a 1st Field Ambulance Afghanistan Veteran who was wounded in 2006 by an I.E.D.

Here are just a few pics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:22 am

Nice photographs. Did you attend the ceremony at the Juno Beach Centre?
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 am

Looks like you had a great trip and I think it's fantastic you paid tribute to our soldiers in whatever way you wanted to!

I would like to make a suggestion that you copy the trip info and pics into a separate thread where it will get more attention. The thread title and location aren't great attention grabbers. If you need help I can split the topic and leave a copy here as well

Ian B

Post by Ian B Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 am

Good on ya, my son!! BRAVO ZULU !!

Ian
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Cameraguy's D-Day anniversary trip Empty Cameraguy's D-Day anniversary trip

Post by pylon1357 Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 am

Looks like you had a great tine for sure. Hanging out with Paul Franklin is always interesting.

I agree, a separate topic is in order, so this does not get lost. Maybe one of the mods can split this topic, as opposed to you having to redo it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:39 am

Done, if you want to edit thread title and you can't, let me know and I'll take care of it.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:49 am

Nice pics! Looked like you had a blast.

Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks guys,appreciate the kind words! Hopefully this thread will not get lost,thanks for the help.

Yes,made it to the Juno Beach Ceremonies,Abbaye D'ardenne ceremonies as well. As I stood in the doorway to the garden where our guys were led through before they met their ends,I was met at the door by several current serving Canadian Forces people. I stood there and thanked them as they walked through,not realizing there were over 75-100 more after them. It was a very special 20 minutes of handshakes and thanks,the end of the line being occupied by (among others) Lieutenant-General J.M.M. Hainse, CMM, MSC, CD who was a very cool,down to earth fella it seemed.

Met some amazing people/dignitaries who were also there who knew much about what I do and truly "got it".There was even one who seemed to not give two hoots about me and my organization does...a very "infamous" one at that who should have been the one to show the most interest. Anyway.
    :/

It was an amazing trip.

Here are one or two more pics

NNSH Support Co. D-Day Veteran and friend Earl Jewers

Abbaye D'Ardenne memorial garden

ledfut
    ledfut

Post by ledfut Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Congratulations on a fantastic trip - a wonderful tribute to the NNSH vets who fought in Normandy!
    sixxpackjack

Post by sixxpackjack Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 am

Well done!
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:37 pm

You were wearing the Veterans Voices of Canada polo shirt at the ceremony too, right? I stood right behind you. Who would have thought that.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Wouter wrote:You were wearing the Veterans Voices of Canada polo shirt at the ceremony too, right? I stood right behind you. Who would have thought that.

That is pretty cool. You should have said hello!
    Cheers!
    Wouter
    Wouter

Post by Wouter Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:47 am

I was planning on doing so after the ceremony but we had to leave early. I think you're doing a great job interviewing veterans. You interview veterans from different regiments, right? I concentrate solely on the Canadian Scottish and have done interviews with quite a number of veterans. Am going over again on the 7th. Hope to get the first draft of my book printed by then so I can give them to everyone who has helped me along the way.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:46 am

Yes sir!

For my organization I do interview Veterans who want to speak and have a story to tell...for history and education. That said,several of my uncles were North Nova Scotia Highlanders,and I try to continue on with that story as well. A book is planned,as well as a doc on the trip to Normandy this past few weeks.

I did an interview with one Canadian Scottish Veteran.His name is Stan Baird from Drumheller,Alberta...a very good guy.

Cheers!
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Cameraguy wrote:

I'm curious why you chose to wear puttees? How common was the use of puttees during the D Day time frame? I would have expected to see web anklets (gaiters). Not saying it's wrong, perhaps it's a unit specific thing that I'm not familiar with.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Well, to tell the truth...I mistakingly took the small size gaiters instead of the lg size. My bad. :P

Fortunately,I put the gaiters into my bag to bring back to Normandy. They were part of a D-Day Veterans kit.What buggers to get on especially since the pants were a...wee...bit...tight.
    No splits though guys,no splits! I did not damage the pants!

Very Happy
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:12 pm

One of those "D'oh!" moments. That's unfortunate.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:46 am

Yup,I like the look of them,just not putting them on! Fortunately I had a Nova Scotia Highlander RSM with me to show me the right way to do it! I would like to have a pair of invasion boots to negate the need altogether,but we know how easy those are to come by.
    Wink
    Cheers,and thanks for taking it easy on me.Presentation is everything! Lol
    Tiflo 62
    Tiflo 62

Post by Tiflo 62 Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:08 am

Hi,
    It was a very nice trip! Thanks for all :)

Flo'
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks for participating Flo!

It was great to see appreciation of our Veterans by youth like yourself in France. It opened my eyes to the fact that there is much appreciation there for what our Veterans did. Here is Flo showing his appreciation with Earl Jewers,NNSH Veteran at Bretteville sur Laize Canadian War Cemetery this year.

Cheers and thanks again Flo! Your caring for our Veterans means much to them,and much to us Canadians.

Tiflo 62
    Tiflo 62

Post by Tiflo 62 Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks Al for sharing the pic! :)
    Al and Earl have a piece of exploded fuze, which exploded the morning of the 17 September 1944 at Boulogne sur mer, where Earl fought! This photo was taken after the gift to Earl.

Cheers!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:51 am