Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
kozowy1967
birkie
6 posters

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet

birkie
    birkie

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Empty Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet

Post by birkie Wed May 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Dsc_0018
    Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Dsc_0011

A recent addition to my WW1 CEF collection...........unfortunately no chinstrap, but still in pretty good shape. Cheers, Keith

"Heavy Batteries RGA were equipped with heavy guns, sending large calibre high explosive shells in fairly flat trajectory fire.The usual armaments were 60 pounder (5 inch) guns, although some had obsolescent 5 inch howitzers. As British artillery tactics developed, the Heavy Batteries were most often employed in destroying or neutralising the enemy artillery, as well as putting destructive fire down on strongpoints, dumps, store, roads and railways behind enemy lines." .....The Long, Long Trail website
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Empty Re: Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Kieth nice looking Mk I it has a lovely patina and well used look about with much of the sand textured finish still visible on the exterior of the shell .
    The helmet body was manufactured by ( HS ) Hadfields Ltd of Sheffield England and IMO was manufactured post October 31 1916 as the shell has been finished in a sand textured overcoat as you very probably already know these can be found painted in a pail blue grey,green,Khaki brown and or tan.
    Does the underside of the liner bare the War Office Pattern red stamp and the patent number 11803/16 if so it would put the liner construction no earlier than October 31 1916 I do know there was a second round of modifications to the liner in early 1917 with the addition of a rubber ring set in the dome pad and held in place by the leather strap hard to tell from your images but it would appear the rubber ring is present under the felt pad.
    Your example is very much like my own which is marked ( HS ) 481
    Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet _57_4010
    Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet _57_4110
    Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet _57_3810
    Regards Mark
    birkie
    birkie

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Empty Re: Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet

Post by birkie Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:18 am

Thanks Mark,
    I don't see a patent stamp in the liner and no evidence there ever was one. There is a rubber donut under the felt pad, definitely a 2nd modification 1917 liner. Thanks for the background on the colour schemes, i've never been entirely clear on the various paint and textures applied and when they where applied. I have a half dozen CEF brodies, all seem to have different versions of paint and textures.
    Cheers, Keith
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 am

It is a very nice Mk I Keith and I would be happy to display it on my top shelf.

Regards Mark
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:31 am

I am just wondering if you could show us a close up on the flash please?
    birkie
    birkie

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Empty CCHA Insignia

Post by birkie Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:20 pm

Here you go Jon, closeup of painted CCHA insignia, Cheers

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Dsc_0310
    Thorval

Post by Thorval Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Very nice helmet. He was perfect with my WW1 RCGA uniform
    Thorval

Post by Thorval Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Do you think sell it???because im very interested ...give me your price in private message
    Haplo
    Haplo

Post by Haplo Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Very nice lid Birkie.
    Love these helmets with a flash on it.
    Great example.
    Britishcamp
    Britishcamp

Post by Britishcamp Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:07 pm

A helmet like this is really something special. I know that you must get a great sense of satisfaction having it in your collection. I certainly envy you, enjoy!
    birkie
    birkie

Canadian Corps Heavy Artillery Helmet Empty ccha helmet

Post by birkie Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Britishcamp wrote:A helmet like this is really something special. I know that you must get a great sense of satisfaction having it in your collection. I certainly envy you, enjoy!

Thanks for your kind comments, I really do enjoy having this one as part of my very modest helmet collection.  ...........sorry for my late response, life gets too busy.   Embarassed Cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:00 am