Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster"

rolleye
    rolleye

Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster" Empty Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster"

Post by rolleye Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Real big stretch here but you never know.

Recently purchased - at an auction - an oil painting that caught my eye.  The painting has a sticker on the frame that indicates it is the original painting used for a WW2 War Bonds poster.  I haven't been able to find any examples of it  online so far.  The painting is approx 2 X 3 ft and looks like oil on canvas.  I bought it because I like it but am interested in finding out if the image was used as a War/Victory Bond poster.

A older gentleman at the auction said he had seen the image before in a smaller format but recall where.

The painting is signed - looks like Joyce - but again online searches haven't revealed anything.

Anyone think they have ever seen the image ?

thanks

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster" Empty Re: Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster"

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Did you get this at the auction in Bowden yesterday?

rolleye

Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster" Empty Re: Big Stretch here - Painting indicating it was original for " WW2 War Bonds Poster"

Post by rolleye Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Yes I won it at the Bowden auction.

Were you there ?
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:15 pm

I was calling bids with the auction crew. I was wearing the New Zealeand desert DPM shirt.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:18 pm

I didn't know about that painting til after it was sold...I was outside having a smoke when it came up. Usually John will get my advice on military items, but he never mentioned the painting to me...I just thought it was another one of the many paintings and prints he sells.

rolleye

Post by rolleye Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:21 pm

It really caught my eye when I showed up there.  I wanted it primarirly because I liked it but the sticker did add a little mystery to it.

Would be interesting to find out more about where it came from and if it does have a military history as well.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:26 pm

I can ask John who owned it, I'll be talking with him in the next few days. You should say hi next time your in so I know who you are. I know lots of the people that come to these auctions and we try not to bid against each other. If I would have known about the painting I'm sure I would have bid.

rolleye

Post by rolleye Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 am

Thanks Dale, any more info is appreciated. I will say hi next time.  

I picked up the painitng for a very reasonable price.  There was a lady who was interested as well - she talked to me near the end of the auction.  I was a little surprised - but pleased - that there wasn't more interest in it. :) I was determined to take it home with me though, good thing you were on a smoke break.
    rolleye
    rolleye

Post by rolleye Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 am

I did a little research and found the name/email of some folks at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.  A few days later I received an email from a Historian in the the Art and War area of the museum.  She didn't recognize the image but offered to do some research for me.

Thae was a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I received a response.... She has concluded that the painting is not a source work for a WWII Victory/War Bond poster.

Nice to know that there are public servants helping the public ...
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Well I suppose it is an answer, not necessarily the one hoped for, however....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm