Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun

Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun Empty 303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun

Post by Cameraguy Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Does anyone know anything about these weapons? Apparently it came from a Veteran out of Hong Kong but I'd like to know more about it if possible. There is quite a story to it which I'm waiting for the fellow to write down for me...love to have it! Hope to have a few sample pics asap as well...
    Anyone know anything about them?
    Cheers!
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun Empty Re: 303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun

Post by pylon1357 Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I assume you are referring to the Lee Enfield no5 Mk I, known as the Jungle Cabine?

If so, excellent rifle IMO. Kick like a mule due to the lighter weight, but very very accurate.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Yes sir,that is the one. I was actually given this and a WW1 German Mauser with the 30 inch barrel...
    It's been a good day.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:54 pm

I would say it has been a good day for sure. LOL

IIRC there were rumours to the effect that the No5MkI was inaccurate due to its short barrel. This as far as I am concerned is hogwash. Mine has always given me a very tight group, the only off target was my own failure, not the rifle.

Unfortunately, the bayo lug on mine has been removed and the wood has been polished and varnished. As a military item, it falls short because of these factors. But as a straight shooting bush rifle, I rank it right beside my Spanish Mauser. I will take my No5MkI out, before my AR15SP1.

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Yes, the inaccuracy issues with the No5 are all BS. British soldiers who were issued the No5 were longing for some of the more modern semi auto rifles being tested at the time and falsely reported that the No5 had a problem with the zero wandering in order to hasten the acquisition of a new rifle. Unfortunately this reputation has endured for some but those who have actually owned or used one since they were surplused will undoubtedly report that there is in fact no problem with the zero wandering or any other accuracy issues.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:02 am

Do you fellows have pictures of your rifle you could load? I'd like to compare.
    Cheers
    edstorey
    edstorey

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun Empty No. 5 Lee Enfield

Post by edstorey Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 am

There is a wonderful feature called Google. Type in No. 5 Lee Enfield, click images, and presto, lots of photos....
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I have the rifle.Unfortunately the original magazine was taken away as it was a 10 shot(apparently). I'm guessing a regular mag would fit?
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:33 pm

The 10 round magazine is perfectly legal and there was no reason to remove it. The 5 round limit applies only to center fire semi automatic firearms. There is no capacity limit for bolt action rifles or rimfire rifles. You could have a 100 round magazine for either of those. Yes, a regular No4 Enfield mag will fit as there was no difference.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:49 pm

I was told that he had the rifle hunting and was confronted by an RCMP. It was either argue and lose both,or give it up and keep the rifle. I'm not sure of too many people who will argue with policing authorities and win even a little bit.
    Lol
    Anyone know where I can get a ten round mag? Cheers,thanks for the info infanteer!
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Frustrating situation and sadly more common than it should be. Many law enforcement officers simply are not as well versed in Canadian firearm regulations as expected. And by the way, don't take my word for it... check it out yourself on the Canada Firearms Center website or simply refer back to your non-restricted firearms license manual. As responsible firearms owners we all need to know these regulations.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks!
    Here are a few photos of my newly acquired...now all nicely locked up securely...

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun Img_0810

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun Img_0811

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Unfortunately, the bayonet lug has been cut off the jungle carbine. I'm having a bit of hard time trying to twist my head to get a good look but there seems to be tape or something on the carbine as well... hopefully it's not broken. That's an early Mauser. Is the muzzle threaded?
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:53 pm

There does appear to be tape or a wrap of some sort on the Carbine. And very unfortunate about the bayo lug being removed. BUT as long as it is solid, still a very very good bush rifle without a doubt.

In regards to the Mauser, I second Infanteers comments. It certainly does appear to have a threaded end to the barrel.

I will try to get photos of my Carbine this weekend. It is put away in the deepest darkest confines of my gun cabinet. Which in itself, is buried.

edstorey
    edstorey

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun Empty No. 5 Bayonet

Post by edstorey Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:01 pm

Here is an image of the No. 5 Bayonet and the full lineage of similar pattern British blade bayonets.

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun No5BayonetwithFrogandScabbard-copy_zps61c92d7b

303 Short Lee Enfield Bush gun BladeBayonetscopy_zpsf58745b8
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Sorry guys,my intention was to answer last night but internet was being a pain in the ass. Yes to both of your statement. Unfortunately,now that I know what I'm looking for ,the lug has been cut off the bush gun. And yes...there are threads on the Mauser barrel.
    So,aside from the fact that I can't put a bayonet on the bush gun,what does it mean for the guns?
    Thanks guys,all help is appreciated!
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Anytime a firearm is modified from it's original state there will be a negative impact on it's value and collector appeal.

As a side point, when talking about your "bush gun" you'll find that more people will know which rifle you are referring to if you call it either a No5 Enfield or a jungle carbine. A "bush gun" is any rifle that a hunter takes with him into the "bush" or wherever he is hunting... it's not a term that is specific to the No5.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:19 am

It's new to me and the fella who gave it to me called it a bush gun so I went with it...Jungle carbine it is! I searched the Mauser with threaded end. Am I correct to understand that this means the barrel was swapped over in the 50's?
    Cheers again guys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:49 pm