Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

James Neilson Hull

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

James Neilson Hull Empty James Neilson Hull

Post by mk1rceme Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 am

James Neilson Hull James%20Neilson%20Hull%20B

I was born in Scotland on 29 October 1915. My father Thomas Henry Hull was employed as a Canadian National Railway Chef and my mother Annie was a homemaker. Our family consisted of five children, three boys and two girls. I was their second child. My family moved to Canada in 1928 and we made our home in Stewiacke. I moved to Truro, Nova Scotia in 1940 where I reside to this day. I attended school in both Scotland and Canada and worked for the Canadian National Railway in the Round House prior to joining the military.

In June 1940 I went to join the Navy and they told me to go home and they would send for me. They never did come for me so I joined the Army in 1941 at Truro and was sent to Yarmouth for my Basic Training. My trade was a Dispatch Rider and Provost, and, after Basic, I was sent to Camp Borden. I joined Provost 5 Division and spent two years in England, 1-1/2 years in Italy, and 1 year in Belgium and Holland.

I had driven Harley Davidson's for two years, then was sent into Italy where I had to drive a Norton. When I got picked for convoy duty, I told them I couldn’t drive a Norton. The Sergeant Major advised me that I’d drive it or break my neck trying. Let me tell you I quickly learned how to drive a Norton!

Throughout the war I suffered no injuries and would do it all over again if I had to. I was released from the Military in March 1946. I married Beulah Mattison and we raised two sons and we also have two grandchildren. After being released from the Military, I went back to work for the Railway. I soon wrote two exams, one for a position with the Dorchester Penitentiary and one for a position with the Post Office. I went to work at the Penitentiary for five months when the Post Master called to inform me that a position was available as a Mail Dispatcher. That job gave me 35 years of employment.

I belong to the Scottish Society, Widowers & Widows Club, The Legion Lyrics and Good Time Seniors. I am a 55 year member of Colchester N.S. Branch No. 26 Royal Canadian Legion. I bowl, dance and play the violin.

*Source:www.billcasey.ca

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 pm