Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Leather flying helmet with provenance

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Leather flying helmet with provenance Empty Leather flying helmet with provenance

Post by Infanteer Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

I recently picked up this early (has leather chinstrap with Bennett buckle) type C leather flying helmet. It's named inside to F/O Arnett who flew with 436 Sqn in SE Asia. The seller also has the leather flight jacket for the same officer and it has his initials painted on the back (JLA) but I have not committed to purchasing this... yet. Turns out that Arnett, who at the time was a Flight Sergeant, was one of only 40 Canadians to be awarded the Air Force Medal. My question is, how much of an effect does this rare distinction have on the value of these items?

Leather flying helmet with provenance My_col11
    Leather flying helmet with provenance 019a11
    Bill
    Bill

Leather flying helmet with provenance Empty Re: Leather flying helmet with provenance

Post by Bill Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:12 am

Hi Steve, It certainly adds value to the artifacts. The question is how much? Irvin jackests are very hard to find at any time, and one with provenance is rare. The condition looks great, as these coats can dry out and crack.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Leather flying helmet with provenance Empty Re: Leather flying helmet with provenance

Post by Infanteer Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:48 am

Yes, this jacket is in nice, useable condition. The sheepskin lining is still intact and is not thinning like you see on many of these. The condition is certainly a positive point.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 pm

I understand the $ thing,but it sure would be a shame to break up the set. :P
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Cameraguy wrote:I understand the $ thing,but it sure would be a shame to break up the set. :P  
    It sure would be a shame. The AFM is much rarer then even the DFC or AFC and it would be great to be able to keep this pilot's story alive. I'm afraid that if someone else buys the jacket that they won't know who it belonged to and the provenance will be lost forever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 am