Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

RCAF Escape compass

Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

RCAF Escape compass Empty RCAF Escape compass

Post by Cameraguy Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 am

Hey guys...a question for you. I was recently given some memorabilia from a Second World War Lancaster navigator,and included was an escape compass(the tunic button type). The problem is it seems to be stripped so the two pieces will not come apart. The only thing to do from what I see is to take it to a watchmaker to do it. Comments?
    Thanks for the help I know you fine fellows will offer...
    Cheers!
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

RCAF Escape compass Empty Re: RCAF Escape compass

Post by Infanteer Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 am

Does the rear piece just spin freely? Keep in mind that some of these are reverse threaded. Later in the war the Germans had realized that these compasses were being used so the thread direction was changed.
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 am

Infanteer wrote:Does the rear piece just spin freely? Keep in mind that some of these are reverse threaded. Later in the war the Germans had realized that these compasses were being used so the thread direction was changed.

yeah thats what I was thinking, a watchmaker might be an option, as long as you make them aware of the reverse thread, tough one on how to get it open such a delicate object, I would find a well respected jeweller if that is an option, neat piece though send me an email if you want me to add pics
    cheers

John
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:17 am

Hey guys.Yup,spins freely and believe me...I tried spinning it both ways for the reverse thread idea as well.Notta.
    :P
    To the watchmaker I go...
    Thanks for the words,and yes John,maybe I'll send a few pics of items he presented to me.
    Cheers
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Cameraguy wrote:Hey guys.Yup,spins freely and believe me...I tried spinning it both ways for the reverse thread idea as well.Notta.
    :P
    To the watchmaker I go...
    Thanks for the words,and yes John,maybe I'll send a few pics of items he presented to me.
    Cheers

tough one with it spinning like that, good luck at the watchmaker, tell him its worth ALOT of money so they are extra careful !
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

RCAF Escape compass Empty Compass

Post by Cameraguy Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Will do. You say that is worth a lot of money...I think this is why he presented the pieces to me. I said to him if anyone offers him a few hundred dollars,not to take it because it is worth so much more. I think George appreciated the honesty.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:56 pm

I have alot of RCAF WWII uniforms and at one point spent some time checking buttons lol. I didn't reveal anything, can't remember if I checked the reverse thread though. May have to pull them all out and check again. Would love to find one on a uniform.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm

what you could try, is moderate outward pressure as you turn it counterclockwise. I don't know really how to explain myself I suppose.

Hold the shank part in one hand and the button top with the other, pulling apart as you turn. It may just pop free. I suspect it is a left hand thread and someone at some point turned the wrong way with too much force, stripping the fine brass threads.

Good luck on this one. I hope it works out in the end.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

RCAF Escape compass Empty compass

Post by Cameraguy Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks guys.I tried the pulling as I turn(I know what you were trying to say! Lol) and still nothing.Taking a closer look,it seems there is a slight nick,so it's like that is keeping it from pulling apart. Off to watchmaker I go!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:47 am