Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA

Martin Howett

4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA Empty 4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA

Post by Martin Howett Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:53 pm

My name is Martin and I am the eldest son of a Canadian soldier who served with the 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment during all of it's combat operations from June 6, 1944 to May 8, 1945 and who upon completion of hostilities in NW Europe volunteered to fight the Japanese. My father died in 1999. In recent months my family has been trying to research my fathers war service without much sucess. As his full service records will continue to elude us until he has been dead for twenty years, we have decided that the best way for us to remember and honor that war service, is to set up a display case with his medals and all of the insignia that would have been present on his uniform when he returned to Canada in 1945. We have obtained his Medals, a Canada Patch, a 3rd Canadian Infantry Division Patch, a Canadian Army Pacific Forces Patch, a Four Years Service Patch, the Lanyard authorized for the 5 Artillery Regiments in the 3rd Division, an RCA Cap Badge and his Rank Insignia, the patches, cap badge and rank insignia were all aquired through the good graces and aide of Philip Reinders who I noticed when I logged onto this site is a recent new member. We have been unable to locate or obtain a 4 LAA RCA sew-on shoulder Patch. The reason for this post is to enquire if anyone in your orginization has such a patch or if not, would they have any insight as to an avenue that my family could explore in hopes of obtaining primarily a sew-on patch, but should the sew-on not be available, a slip-on patch would be acceptable. Any aide that you could give us in obtaining (purchasing) a copy of this very elusive patch would be greatly appreciated. Thank You Martin
    skyhawk172

4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA Empty Re: 4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA

Post by skyhawk172 Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:29 am

Martin,

My name is Mike and am the great nephew of someone who also served with this regiment during the Normandy Campaign (from June 6 to Sept. 23, 1944). I may be able to help you with your search for unit insignia if you would please contact me ASAP.

Sincerely,

M. Lewis

4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA Empty Re: 4th Light Anti- Aircraft Regiment RCA

Post by Karma Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Mike:

Thank you for your reply to my post. I have been having problems accessing the site and have had my wife join so I can reply to you. Please reply to this site as I am not allowed to leave an e-mail address. I am looking forward to meeting another familly member of the regiment.

Martin

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi Martin,
    Can you please elaborate on the problems your having logging into the forum? I've checked your profile and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. We will get the problem fixed for you ASAP....feel free to PM me so we don't hijack this thread.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi Martin,
    As NOK you do not have to wait 20 years to access your fathers full service record. I have done a few for other families and would be happy to help.
    All you need is proof of relationship! A birth certificate listing your fathers name, an obituary listing you as his son, anything that proves you are father/son.
    There is a form here to fill out:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/022/f2/022-909.007-e.pdf

The archives website says limited information will be sent, but I've requested 3 for other families with recent deaths and the only thing I found was some names were blacked out on the forms, other than that they were complete records.
    Send the form and the proof of relationship to LAC and wait!

m howett

Post by m howett Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:21 pm

Jeff:

I was speaking to ATIP on the 24th and they say they are currently working on the time frame I submitted my request and informed me that it would probably be another month (9 months total) before I receive the records.I really appreciate your offer of help, but I might as well wait the month and see how badly they censor his records. If they have really impacted them dramatically, I will thankfully accept your offer of help at that point. Thank you for your help.

Martin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 am