Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Scrapping the M113 fleet

sarge5020
    sarge5020

Scrapping the M113 fleet Empty Scrapping the M113 fleet

Post by sarge5020 Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:56 am

http://crownassets.pwgsc.gc.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=1542&lcn=1542&lct=K&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

I think that it's a shame that the government is willing to destroy the M113 fleet instead of offering them to military vehicle collectors first. Owning a military vehicle is not illegal in Canada but collectors never get a chance to buy a Canadain military armoured vehicle because of the policy that calls for them to be cut up and sold as scrap. At least give us a chance to buy the vehicles before destroying them.

Here's the email that I sent to the Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada.

Minister Ambrose, I’d like to call your attention to a situation that is a little troubling. I see that the Ministry of Public Works and Government Services Canada, which controls Crown Assets Distribution, is scrapping the M113 Armoured Personnel Carrier fleet. While I understand that these vehicles are old and have out-lived their service life, but I think that it is a shame that they will be cut up and disposed of instead of offering them for sale to military vehicle collectors first. Collectors would be happy to pay for these vehicles and the government may actually get more for them then if they were cut up and scrapped. Owning a military vehicle is not illegal in Canada but because vehicles like these are destroyed instead of offered for sale to collectors which makes it difficult to impossible for Canadian collectors to have Canadian vehicles. Britain offers their surplus military vehicles for sale to collectors, including armoured vehicles and even tanks (http://www.mod-sales.com/).

Our M113 vehicles have served Canada well over the last few decades and they are part of our military heritage. I can remember training on them here in Canada and using them in the Balkans during our U.N. mission there. Please give military vehicle collectors the chance at buying at least some of these vehicles so that we can preserve them.

I see that Great Britain is selling off a bunch of vehicles. Here's a partial list: COLLECTORS VEHICLES inc. FV 432 APC, FV 434, Centurion ARV, Chinese APC reference vehicle, Springer Buggy Etc.
    Large Quantity of CVRT, Ferret, Saracen, Saladin, Centurion, Chieftain Etc. ARMOURED VEHICLE SPARES inc. Engines, Transmissions Etc.

Too bad Canadians can't buy Canadian vehicles.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Scrapping the M113 fleet Empty Re: Scrapping the M113 fleet

Post by pylon1357 Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:14 am

THE Canadian Government is NOT SCRAPING the M-113. They are srapping certain varents. These cannot be released for sale to the public, just as the M-109 cannot be released.

Keep in mind the vehicles they are scraping are A-2 varents. Not the A-3`s or the TLAVs.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Point being is that they are scrapping SOME of the fleet instead of offering them to military vehicle collectors.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Sarge, the Governement is not allowed to sell them off. Our Government needs the permission of the U.S. to do so. I would like one with a plow blade for sure. LOL. I could just see it now, a bunch of crazy canucks (myself right out there in the front) driving around the streets in an armoured carrier. Love it.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Avro683
    Avro683

Post by Avro683 Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:41 am

This is the same for the Air Frce.. the Canadair Tutors are being cut into chunks and scrapped instead of being offered for sale to collectors. I know a few folks who would love a cockpit section.

Last edited by Avro683 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:59 pm

The United States Government is hard to figure when it comes to Armored vehicles. It is now almost impossible to import back to the United States any WW II American made Armored vehicle. Yet at the same time, I know of at least one M1 Abrams tank in private collection.

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Scrapping the M113 fleet Ensign10

Scrapping the M113 fleet Flag_canada
    RossT

Post by RossT Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:12 am

Unfortunately this is USA policy. Back in the late 90s New Zealand decided to get rid of all their M113s. The put them up for tender and an Australian collector bought the fleet. The process of trying to get approval to allow their export from NZ to Oz caused the US government to become involved. The process ended with the sale cancelled and the US requiring all the vehicles to be cut up as scrap.

Since 9/11 the US has been even more paranoid. The Oz defence forces used to use PRC 25 & 77 radios. In the mid 90s we moved to Raven with the 25s stating to be phased out of war reserve, now the 77s are being withdrawn from war reserve as well. As US built equipment, all disposal must be acceptable to the US. So they are being totally destroyed, even the hand sets and antennae. Everything shredded.

We moved from 25pdrs to WW2 vintage M2 105mm howitzers during the Vietnam War. We have now withdrawn 105mm from our order of battle and the M2s are redundant. They are to be provided to museums and returned soldiers clubs, the delay in the process is that they will have to be rendered innocuous to the satisfaction of the US govt. This is despite their being totally obsolete and absolutely worn out.

Aircraft are no different,
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/ipswich/raaf-base-amberley-f-111-fighter-jets-end-up-on-swanbank-landfill-site-near-ipswich/story-fn8m0yo2-1226204896564

Regards
    Ross T

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 am