Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals

hockeyfiend
    hockeyfiend

Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals Empty Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals

Post by hockeyfiend Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:38 pm

Hello all,

I am in search of my great grandfather's, Pte William Chalmers, 163808, WW1 medals and some other items that were sold on Ebay Canada September 2006 (auction was in progress on 9-18 and ended 9-21). Pictures of the medals and other items are on Veterans Affairs VWM.

Just 1 month ago I began researching my family history and now I have found myself immersed in the hunt for William's medals and other effects. He attested in July 1915 and was killed in France October 25, 1916. My goal, above all else, is to bring his medals and other effects back to the family where they belong. My father, grandmother, and great grandmother have all passed away so those sources of any information are now gone.

Along with the hunt for the medals, I find myself fascinated with the history of WW1 that I realize I really don't know much about. I have joined several forums in my search and I have found myself browsing the threads and having something to contribute from time to time as I find out more about my great grandfather and his two brothers' involvement in WW1.

In short, any help or guidance anyone can give me to achieve my end would be greatly and deeply appreciated. I have been totally amazed at the helpful attitude of the people I have "met" thus far. Thanks!
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals Empty Re: Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals

Post by mk1rceme Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Welcome! There are quite a few members here that could probably help you along with your quest.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals Empty Re: Looking For My Great Grandfather's Medals

Post by pylon1357 Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello and welcome tot eh forum. The only help I can offer in regards to you searching out your grandfathers World War Service Medals would to post the request as well at the British Medals forum. URL as follows. http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

Good luck to you in your search.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Welcome to the forum!
    I wish you luck in finding his medals, I will keep an eye open for them.
    Have you pulled your grandfathers WWI service file yet?

hockeyfiend

Post by hockeyfiend Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks Jeff. And thanks too for keeping an eye open for the medals. I have ordered my great grandfather's service record and I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I am so hoping there may be some clues in there!
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Let us know when you get the file, we can help you out with that for sure. My buddy Cliff (pylon1357) got me into the research end of collecting years ago, the files can be a great source of information or a big disappointment......but you have to get them to find out which one it is. LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 am