Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland

Wouter
    Wouter

Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland Empty Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland

Post by Wouter Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:13 am

Gentlemen,

I am looking for the medals, both WWI and WWII, of Walter Glenn Holland. During WWI, he went back to England to serve with his buddies from college in the Gordon Highlanders. Afterward, he returned to Canada and joined with the 2nd Battalion of the Canadian Scottish, where he was promoted to Captain. During WWII, he was asked by the Netherlands government to be their consul in Vancouver.

These medals were stolen in the 1970's, when the Holland family lived in Sydney, BC for a while. They have never been recovered. I have been corresponding with Walter's son for about 3 years now, who is himself a veteran of WWII. If you could all keep an eye out for these medals, both me and him would be very thankful.

I am not 100% sure which medals should be in the grouping, but I have asked his son if he remembers which ones it were. Due to the presence of the WWI medals, at least some should be named and in that way they could be identified.

Thanks in advance,

Wouter
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland Empty Re: Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland

Post by pylon1357 Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:25 am

Have you posted this on the British Medals Forum? Will keep my eyes open.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Wouter
    Wouter

Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland Empty Re: Looking for the medals of W.G. Holland

Post by Wouter Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Cliff,

No I have not, I am not even a member over there but will do a search on the website and see what comes up.

Edit: It's on there too. Thanks for the tip and let's hope it'll lead to something!

Also, Gordon, his son, just emailed me about the medals:

One of my deepest regrets is not keeping a note or photo of my Dad's medals, I had no idea that someone would be so crass as to steal medals of honour, I guess I was young & very naive. He had about the same number as I did & I am sure those battles were much more difficult in those days than ours were.
    I expect that they were pawned in one of the military regalia shops of those days, I think there is only one of those shops left in Victoria.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:15 pm

You should tell him to write in to Archives Canada and get his service records...at least you will know what your looking for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:19 am