Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse

qsamike
    qsamike

A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse Empty A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse

Post by qsamike Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen......

I would like to report a reunite of items belonging to 114 Trooper G. H. Doherty, Lord Strathconas Horse.....

DOHERTY, G. H. (George Henry)

REG. NO.: 114
    REGT: LORD STRATHCONA'S HORSE
    BARS: NATAL, ORANGE FREE STATE, BELFAST, SOUTH AFRICA 1901 (Note: Bars not in correct order but since they were sent many months after the medal this is not surprising.)

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. ENLISTED AT: MOOSOMIN, N.W.T.
    2. ENLISTED DATE: February 6th, 1900
    3. AGE: 25, BORN: April 1st, 1874
    4. BIRTHPLACE: CARLETON PLACE, ONTARIO
    5. HEIGHT: 5' 10 1/2", WEIGHT: 159
    5. TRADE OR CALLING: FARMER
    6. RELIGION: CHURCH OF ENGLAND
    7. NOK - MOTHER, MRS. JAMES DOHERTY, CARLETON PLACE, ONT.
    8. MARITAL STATUS: SINGLE
    9. DISCHARGED: March 8th, 1901
    10. LETTER FROM DOHERTY DATED August 4th, 1902 STATING THAT HE HAD NOT YET REC'D THE BARS FOR HIS MEDAL.
    11. DOCUMENTS ON FILE.
    12. PHOTO AT AGE OF 14 WHILE A CADET ON FILE
    13. BATMAN TO MAJOR BELCHER
    14. VERIFIED ON RONCETTI ROLL: MEDAL NUMBER 2721
    15. NOTE: ON MEDAL ROLL HAS REGIMENTAL NUMBER OF 14
    16. NUMBER 3 TROOP, A. SQUADRON, May 18th, 1900 - TO C SQUADRON, July 8th, 1900 - TO B SQUADRON, December 28th, 1900 - TO A SQUADRON.

Now thanks to a seller on our favorite auction site I can now add the following:

1. A 10 x 12 inch photo of Doherty on horseback while in South Africa....
    2. Two Letters from South Africa to his family.....
    3. The best piece is a Gold C.P.R. Pocket Watch engraved:

PRESENTED TO TROOPER G. H. DOHERTY BY THE RAMSAY PEOPLE

Scratched under the engraving is the date: March 13th, 1901 which must have been the date he was given the watch.....

Mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

qsamike
    qsamike

A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse Empty Re: A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse

Post by qsamike Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 pm

Last Picture.....

qsamike
    qsamike

A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse Empty Re: A Reunite of Sorts - Lord Strathcona's Horse

Post by qsamike Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:49 pm

I have just transcribed the letters......

The Spelling, Punctuation and Capitalization is as written in the letters.......

GEORGE HENRY DOHERTY LETTERS

Strathcona Horse
    Capetown, Feb. 29th, 1900

Dear Mother

I am very disapointed that I have not got any mail from home yet we have had two mails from canada but I have not heard yet from Doherty Hall. We are still in Cape Town drilling. I believe we leave on Wed for Kimberly we are very ancious to get to the front and get to work. I guess you will soon get a letter from me, you will be ancious to here from me. We are having very nice weather here it was very warm down in the streets of Cape Town this afternoon another fellow and I rode through the city in daylight. There are some very beautiful places. My Boss Major Belcher allowes me to ride the horses anytime I want them. he has three dandys. he dose not ride them himself yet. So he makes me were his sword and ride around to get the horses used to it. I have to draw it and carry it in my hand and swing it around there heads to get them well broke. I had a good job as some of the tommeys. I took a ride down past some of their tents and they thought I was an officer I saw some of them that were sitting down stood to attention it was most fun for me. I am having a good time nothing to do but take care of my horses and go on parade when I feel like it. The time seems to be going in very quickly I am feeling fine all the time I am never lonesome or homesick I am just as contented as if I was at lakeside farm. I have not written to Albert - yet - I must write before I the next mail goes out. It is a hard job for me to settle down long enough to write a letter but I always try and write a few lines home once in a while. sunday is like every other day at camp as far as work is conserned blacksmiths shoe horses all day the boys kick about ball and lots of fatigue work to do. I am going to church as soon as I finish this letter. I am out with John Barrey from Montreal who joined Strathcona Horse on board the ship. to take the place of his brother who was killed in the first - contingent. I will be away from here when I write again . You need not worry about me. did you get my insurance certificate from the foresters let me know if you did I do not know what else to say at this time only to say send me the papers and all fo you write to me. I am a long ways from home.

Good Bye to you all.
    From
    G.H.D.
    Strathcona Horse
    South Africa
    Reg. Staff
    UNOFFICIAL

PUBLIC CORRESPONDENCE DEPARTMENT

Cape Town....

YOUNG MEN'S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION

Long and Hout Streets

Cape Town May 9th 1900

Dear Mother

I have just came down town and dropped into the Y.M.C.A. for a little while to write you a letter, As I think that a letter from S. Africa will be welcome at home at any time. I have not much to say, but at the same time a few lines to let you all Know that I am living and well. Will be received with pleasure. today we had a mounted brigade parade for six miles along the beach where we were inspected by a General, he was well pleased with our turnout after inspection we were ordered to dismount and we were turned loose in the bush and brush for to scout, we were to hide behind trees & rocks and anything else. so the enemy could not see us. the enemy were Lord Lovets Scouts. there work was to find us. it was good sport. we had to run like sam hill from one position to another which made us very warm. The mail leaves for england tomorrow morning I hope to get a letter from home tomorrow evening and some papers I did not get any papers yet - I am sending home six photos of myself mounted I want you to give Joe Doherty one. Albert one. one at home. Edith one. Ormend D. one and Ellen Jane one. Or if you think better let J. R. Tate or Simpson have the one I said to give to Ormond. I have another one also and it would make a good picture for the paper. You will have to get them mounted in cardboard as I am sending them in a roll. I do not know when we will be sent to the front we may be any time. I am keeping fine all the time we are having beautiful weather in this letter you will find a silver leaf that came from table mountain take good care of it as they are hard to get. I am sending Annie a writing book that was given to each of us by the boat that we came over on it is no use of me keeping it as it will only get smashed. I will write again some other day. I have another letter to write so I will say good night to you all.

I am your loving son

Geo. H. Doherty
    Strathcona Horse
    South Africa

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Awesome group of items...thanks for showing!

Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Once a group is broken, it's almost impossible to reunite. It's a wonderful thing when a collector cares enough to do so. Congratulations Mike on reuniting such a rare Lord Strathcona's Horse group! ! ! Job well done! ! !
    cefww1
    cefww1

Post by cefww1 Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:44 am

Battalion Colours wrote:Once a group is broken, it's almost impossible to reunite. It's a wonderful thing when a collector cares enough to do so. Congratulations Mike on reuniting such a rare Lord Strathcona's Horse group! ! ! Job well done! ! !

Mike:
    I certainly agree. BZ
    Hugh 2 thumbs up
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 am

Gentlemen......

Thank you for your fine comments......

I have finished framing the items and thought you might like to see the finished product........

I thought that I posted this one already but better late than never.....

Mike

cefww1
    cefww1

Post by cefww1 Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:36 am

Mike
    It looks great. I think the holster makes for a unique item in a display frame.
    Hugh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 pm