Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

WW I Cover with Neck Flap

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

WW I Cover with Neck Flap Empty WW I Cover with Neck Flap

Post by Battalion Colours Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:58 pm

WW I Cover with Neck Flap Dscf7610

It's my understanding the WW I helmet cover with neck flap appeared in 1917. Were Canadian troops issued these neck flaps? If yes, does anyone have a photograph showing them being worn?
    GCR817
    GCR817

WW I Cover with Neck Flap Empty Re: WW I Cover with Neck Flap

Post by GCR817 Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:10 am

Battalion Colours wrote:WW I Cover with Neck Flap Dscf7610

It's my understanding the WW I helmet cover with neck flap appeared in 1917. Were Canadian troops issued these neck flaps? If yes, does anyone have a photograph showing them being worn?

That is a very interesting neck flap and the first that I have seen. I have never seen or heard of them being issued to Canadians (typically covers that were worn are made of sand bags or a light canvas material). It strikes me that the flap would be something used in Gallipoli or Egypt.

Very interesting item though and I hope someone out there has more info. Is it marked at all with maker, date etc?

Geoff
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:43 am

I have looked through all my WWI pictures and just about every site that has WWI pictures and I cannot locate this type of cover being used...yet. It looks like the flap comes off, yes? It could have been used without the flap, definitely. The period pictures most times are hazy at best, but some look similar to this cover. Could just be Burlap type covers though.

Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 pm

GCR817 wrote:
    Battalion Colours wrote:WW I Cover with Neck Flap Dscf7610

That is a very interesting neck flap and the first that I have seen. I have never seen or heard of them being issued to Canadians (typically covers that were worn are made of sand bags or a light canvas material). It strikes me that the flap would be something used in Gallipoli or Egypt.

Very interesting item though and I hope someone out there has more info. Is it marked at all with maker, date etc?

Geoff

The covers and neck flags were British issue to the best of my knowledge and were worn in the 1917-1918 time period. They were made to be worn in the tropical theatre of operations such as the Middle East. Yes, the neck flap does detach from the cover and it's not marked or dated. This is the only example I have ever seen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 am