Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair

LittleBlackDevil
    LittleBlackDevil

78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Empty 78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair

Post by LittleBlackDevil Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago I got my first medal pair to the 78th (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF. Using my "cheat sheet" I saw that the service number on the medal was in between 147001-150000 service number used by the 78th.

The pair is named to 148626 Pte. V. G. Bodkin. 78-Can. Inf. Although I've done minimal research on the man, I do have some basic information. Born in Killarney, Ireland. He enlisted on the 28th of December, 1915 (see image 4). He was wounded December ?th, 1916. Deemed medically unfit for war service, April 17th, 1918.

The ribbon on the 78th War Medal is a original period replacement that I added myself, the set was missing that ribbon. The Victory medal sports its original ribbon. I personally think the pair is original, everything looks good on it and checks out (to me). Overall nice pair to the 78th (Winnipeg Grenadiers).

Thank you for reading, and have a nice day.

Regards,

-Jamie

78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Bodkin10
    78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Bodkin11
    78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Bodkin12
    78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Bodkin10
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Empty Re: 78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair

Post by pylon1357 Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Nice addition. I assume you have downloaded his Service Records?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    LittleBlackDevil
    LittleBlackDevil

78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair Empty Re: 78th Battalion (Winnipeg Grenadiers) CEF War + Victory Pair

Post by LittleBlackDevil Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:55 pm

pylon1357 wrote:Nice addition. I assume you have downloaded his Service Records?

Hello Cliff,

Thanks, I think it will go great in my collection. I'm not sure where to download WWI Service Records, the "research" I did was searching his name on the web and finding that clip of information. Do you know any good place(s) to go to find and download WWI Service Files?

Best regards,

-Jamie

swamprat_12
    swamprat_12

Post by swamprat_12 Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:21 pm

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=50112
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 am

Swamprat, thanks for adding this link.

Jamie follow the link provided. It will take yiu to Bodkins arrestation papers. From there you will find a link (BO843-S011) click on that link and it will open his digitized cef service records.

You can download the PDF file

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    LittleBlackDevil
    LittleBlackDevil

Post by LittleBlackDevil Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am

Swamprat,

Thank you kindly for the link to his attestation papers.

Cliff,

Thank you for the instructions, I look forward to downloading and reading through his service file. I never had researched a CEF soldier before as I had limited named gear/medals to WWI, but now I know where to go to research them.

Thank you both. I shall see what turns up in his files...

Best regards,

-Jamie
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 am

have to keep us updated on what you find out,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 am