Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case?

suwanneetrader
    suwanneetrader

Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case? Empty Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case?

Post by suwanneetrader Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:12 pm

I can not figure how to attach a photo from my computer Doc. file. Sorry  HELP
      It has the Broad Arrow acceptance mark.  It is marked ?L & ? Ltd. 1943.  It is as close to as issued as you will find.  It is approx. 26 inches long and 7 inches at its widest point. The end has a leather plug. It is too short for a regular carbine but could take a folding stock or various sub machineguns. BREN SPARE BARREL AND PARTS.  

I got the following from a UK person (not sure which country or if it is correct, but I sure do not know).  I collect USMC but buy any Militaria item I think I can sell or trade, been doing it since 1960.

(Quote):    Hi- what you have here is a WW2 Canadian Bren Gun Spare Barrel bag, used for carrying a spare barrel for the Bren gun along with cleaning rod, spare parts and various tools. The makers mark is Z.L & T. Ltd which stands for Zephyr Loom & Textiles Ltd, a well known CDN maker of webbing. This was carried by the number 2 in each infantry Bren machine gun crew. Cheers,

The next info is off the web and about this manufacture:

Here is some info on the Canadian maker.

Whilst there is solid evidence documenting limited Canadian production as early as 1924, two Canadian firms began producing web equipment in earnest in 1940 (pre-production pieces have been noted with 1939 dates). These were Zephyr Loom & Textile (ZL&T) and the splendidly named Montreal Suspender and Umbrella, Ltd. (MS&U). Neither firm had the special looms needed to duplicate M.E. Co. and M.W.& S. products. Without these looms, Cartridge Carriers, Braces, Pistol Magazine Carriers, Pistol Ammunition Pouches and Holsters, all of which entailed either integral, or reduction weaving, had to be constructed differently. Thus Patt. '25 Cartridge carriers made in Canada can be readily distinguished by their folded and sewn pockets.

Richard     PS: sorry photo did not download
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case? Empty Re: Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case?

Post by pylon1357 Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:44 am

Here is the link to a tutorial I did for posting photos. It may seem difficult, but it is actuality quite simplr

https://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com/t2381-another-photo-posting-tutorial

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 am

Based on the information you have provided it sounds like the advice you have gotten is correct.
    (Quote): Hi- what you have here is a WW2 Canadian Bren Gun Spare Barrel bag, used for carrying a spare barrel for the Bren gun along with cleaning rod, spare parts and various tools. The makers mark is Z.L & T. Ltd which stands for Zephyr Loom & Textiles Ltd, a well known CDN maker of webbing. This was carried by the number 2 in each infantry Bren machine gun crew. Cheers,

Having said that, if you follow Cliff's photo posting tutorial, pics will help the members confirm what you have.

Welcome to the Forum!!!!

suwanneetrader

Post by suwanneetrader Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case? P7130015

Is this a Canadian Bren Gun case? P7130016
    suwanneetrader
    suwanneetrader

Post by suwanneetrader Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

It is a lot of steps especially if one wants to show front and back Which I did. I can also send markings if someone wants to see (by email I hope) But I thank you for the instructions and if I get any more Canadian I can post. Richard
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Your information was correct, you do have a late war been spare barrel bag.
    suwanneetrader
    suwanneetrader

Post by suwanneetrader Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks to all especially patiently guiding me thru the photo maze. Now I can properly identify when I try to sell or trade for older USMC. Richard
    suwanneetrader
    suwanneetrader

Post by suwanneetrader Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:59 pm

suwanneetrader wrote:Thanks to all especially patiently guiding me thru the photo maze.  Now I can properly identify when I try to sell or trade for older USMC.  Richard

It is now listed in this Forum's For Sale or I'll trade section Richard
    suwanneetrader
    suwanneetrader

Post by suwanneetrader Sun May 17, 2015 12:17 pm

sorry mistake Richard

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 am