Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Dispatch Rider Helmet?

Humphrey95
    Humphrey95

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Empty Dispatch Rider Helmet?

Post by Humphrey95 Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and am very excited about it. It's nice to find like minded individuals that are discussing and saving our military history.

I was hoping for some clarification on a helmet I got last weekend. It was being sold as a "tankers helmet", but I didn't think so. I'm pretty sure it's a Dispatch rider helmet. I tried some digging around the internet, and found someone saying a similar one was made by Spalding. I have attached some pics (I hope). It looks like there is a smudgey C /|\, but no manufacturer info.

Can anyone help me out with some details? The research for me is almost as much fun as the find is....

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Dsc06810

edstorey
    edstorey

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Empty DR Helmet

Post by edstorey Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:49 pm

It is a Canadian made Spalding DR Helmet from WWII.

Check out this site as all of the research material you will need can be found here.

http://www.servicepub.com/

ED
    Jonhno

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Empty Re: Dispatch Rider Helmet?

Post by Jonhno Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:45 pm

looks in good condition, Tin Lids is a good book also, wondered can you give us a look at the liner

cheers

John
    Humphrey95
    Humphrey95

Post by Humphrey95 Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:59 am

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Dsc06811
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:38 am

From the little bit of digging that I have done to find out about the DR helmet that I have and think that this is what is known as a Mark 1 helmet.....

Mike
    edstorey
    edstorey

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Empty DR Helmet

Post by edstorey Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:10 am

Check Roger Lucy's book Tin Lids as Canadian DR helmets are covered in that publication.
    L.E.
    L.E.

Post by L.E. Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:11 am

This is an attempt on my part, forgive me if I am off the mark.

I found this on the www.invaluable.com site. What seems to be the exact match. This is what was displayed...
    Quote from site:WW2 British Pattern Glider Pilot Flying Helmet....early issue Example A scarce early example. The fiber skull with brown painted finish and fitted with the lower section of the C type flying helmet. (on the model on display on site) Clear crowned AM stamp and number.
    This example has no provision for an oxygen mask and is an external wired style. Also, no velvet patches to the lining at the chin (on the online model) that was sold actually.
    Unquote:
    The www.bellsaviationmuseum.org  site had similar helmets. One described G-1 Gunner Auxilary Helmet with A-8 Flight Helmet.

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the display.
    http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/ww2-pattern-british-glider-pilot-flying-helmet.-947-c-692ddv5653

Yes, I am sure that I am way off to be sure, but it is interesting how close the styles are. I love the opportunity this site allows to share, think, make effort and learn. Every time I check into this site there is something interesting about our heritage to learn.
    http:// www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175574-spalding-flight-helmet/
    Thanks

Last edited by L.E. on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : just adding some things similar-won't add more)
    edstorey
    edstorey

Dispatch Rider Helmet? Empty Dispatch Rider's Helmet

Post by edstorey Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:16 am

It is not a Glider Pilot helmet, it is a DR Helmet as described in Tin Lids.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am