Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+5
shootemup
edstorey
mk1rceme
Infanteer
Kelly's Heros
9 posters

Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!!

Kelly's Heros
    Kelly's Heros

Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!! Empty Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!!

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:35 am

I ordered stuff from the states mainly German, American and some Canadian stuff from Midwest Estates in Chicago, Illinois. I had some weird phone calls from UPS and delays from Canada Customs over clothing and caps. I even had to pay duty on a Canadian paratrooper uniform made in Canada about 70 some odd years ago. Canada customs and UPS asked me, "Is it for your own personal use?" Well what else am I going to do with this stuff parade up and down the streets of Olds, Alberta with this stuff on? I'd be the laughing stock of North America. I told them to come on over and quoted the law to them where it says I can collect any military stuff from WW2. Just goes to show you that how much illegal stuff goes though the system VS the legal stuff. Does Canada Customs know the laws of Canada? How much trade in WW2 stuff between USA and Canada occurs and they start screaming over non fire arms and non explosives just uniform stuff.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!! Empty Re: Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!!

Post by Infanteer Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 am

I don't really get the point of your rant. While I agree that CBSA officers often make mistakes, asking if an item is for personal use is likely just trying to determine if it's being brought in for resale or some other commercial use. Maybe I don't understand because there is more to the story that you haven't shared.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!! Empty Re: Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!!

Post by mk1rceme Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:03 am

Sounds like they are just doing their job. You can get reimbursed for certain fees, just takes a while for the process.

Kelly's Heros

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 pm

I wrote to my MP about this issue, as reality says to me that the amount of Al Kahadia stuff and other illegal stuff that goes unopened or other illegal weapons through bribes and other sources is a real scary deal. If I was known terrorist or on a hate group watch list etc. I can see but to strain at a gnat and swallow a camel. Never heard of people getting their custm fee back. I heard of stuff of GST refunds for Americans and other incentives on their end from Canada but not from Canada customs to Canadians. I have to look into it. Thanks
    edstorey
    edstorey

Talk About People Who Doesn't Know Their Jobs Canada Customs!!! Empty Customs

Post by edstorey Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:15 pm

In the decades that I have been dealing with Customs Canada I have never had a single problem. Yes, I have been charged import duty on some items, but I have always been refunded when I provided documentation on the material. Being polite and respectful seems to work well. Border Services have a job I don't envy.
    Kelly's Heros
    Kelly's Heros

Post by Kelly's Heros Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:28 pm

I talked to customs about the refund part according to them this is the process:

1) The item has to be over 50 + years old

2) Have a certificate from an antique dealer that it is the real McCoy and over 50 years old

3) You still are responsible for the taxes just the duty is refunded

So the way I see it is since most of my stuff comes though the mail to get $60 back you have to pay and run around for various paper work which costs more then the $60 duty or so. (Unless you know people or friends in high places lol). I found using courier that duties are more expensive. I stopped using UPS as they are expensive and also I had problems for over 2 days getting my stuff released out of customs because one day I was purchasing some replica WW2 Italian Camo they started acting like goofs. (No offence to those who work with UPS) They kept asking me after using them all the time as my broker, "Who is your broker?" and "Canada Customs asked us about the use of these products, is it for your personnel use?" Gee they should come over to my place they be in for a shock a bit of this and that books, DVD's, Old Radio shows etc. I cover all fronts items from here and there.

tank 
    shootemup

Post by shootemup Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Have your sellers/vendors mark Canadian origin goods and militaria as "Canadian Goods Returning" on the customs declaration form.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

The Customs Office is less than a 10 min. drive from me and I always take my things over to them and I normally have had no problems getting a refund.....

The thing that is getting me mad is the new Ebay policy that you have to pay the shipping, handling fees and customs duties in advance before they will ship to you from the US.....  It is not mandatory yet but in talking to them they have stated that it is a test to see how it works.....  

It is called "Global Shipping Program and includes international tracking program"

I purchased an item from Texas, the seller sent it to a central location on east coast of US where it was re-labeled and sent via courier to me with the extra charge....

Mike

Here is a sample: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I avoid sellers who use the global shipping program. It is just another cash grab. 99% of the time I can find another selling the same item without the program.

qsamike

Post by qsamike Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 am

Good Morning Dale.....

Likewise I avoid anyone in that program but I understand that the management will be making it Mandatory sometime in the new year for all sellers in the US......

M.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:45 am

Yeah, so I hear. It will hurt the bottom line for sellers who depend on foreign sales, but that seems to be the normal rhetoric in the U.S. these days...to kill private business. If it goes through there, I'm sure it won't be long before it is implemented here.

I haven't had a customs fee tacked on any of my shipments from the U.S. in almost 2 years...and I buy a lot! Now I will be forced to pay it? No way.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Exactly, if that means I stop using Ebay altogether then that's what I'll do.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 am

E-bay has become too big and monopolizes the on-line auction market, setting policies to maximize their profits. Steve has it: just don't use ebay.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:24 am

The best stuff I get is from forums just like this with like-minded collectors. Eliminating paypal and using email money transfers exclusively is the next step...for Canadian sales of course. Too bad that can't be done with sellers/buyers in the US....yet.

Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:51 am

Dale,I'm with you. E-banking is so easy,it's how I do much of my buys,and sells if possible.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:52 am

mk1rceme wrote:The best stuff I get is from forums just like this with like-minded collectors. Eliminating paypal and using email money transfers exclusively is the next step...for Canadian sales of course. Too bad that can't be done with sellers/buyers in the US....yet.

Agreed, I really don't like using Paypal anymore and only have it so that I can still deal with Americans and Europeans.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:38 pm

It is funny, as we talk about eBay and how big they have become. How things have changed and NOT for the better.

One of their biggest changes, that I do truly dislike, is the way they hide the other bidders ID. In the past, if I had a passing interest on something, and I knew a friend was bidding, I would back off so as to avoid a bidding war. Now, I have no idea who the other bidders are.

I do recall many many moons ago, I used to use yahoo auctions. Many of my early online acquisitions came from this auction site.

eBay has its good and bad points, unfortunately, the bad points for me are starting to out weigh the good points.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm