Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
Bill
48th
6 posters

Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII

48th
    48th

Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII Empty Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII

Post by 48th Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm

I have seen many WWII 1st and 5th Canadian Division flashes with the with the multi colored Pacific Forces "pie" flash.

My question is there any (original) 2nd, 3rd and 4th Canadian Div flashes also out there with the Pacific flash added?

Some of the books I have only list the 1st and 5th Div as wearing them but where there any other Division soldiers that had enough time before the wars end to be assigned to the Pacific force.
    Bill
    Bill

Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII Empty Re: Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII

Post by Bill Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:07 am

Hi Ron, I have CMHQ, First Cdn Army, 2nd Cdn Corps, and 3 CID CAPF patches. I don't have 2 CID or 4 CAD with the CAPF patches.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII Empty CAPF Badges

Post by edstorey Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 am

I have 3 CID and 5 CAD.

ED
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:57 am

Opps, I should have mentioned that those were in addition to 1 CID and 5 CAD CAPF patches.
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks guys,

So Bill in your opinion are 2nd CID and 4th CAD flashes with the CAPF flashes added "fantasy" badges?
    Or could they exisit but just in such small numbers I have just not seen one turn up?

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Ron, Official policy was to add the small CAPF hexagon to the formation patch the individual was serving in. I don't think there was any prohibition against it in those formations. As you say, it may just be that they didn't get around to putting them up.
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Availibilty of the patches may have been limited at the time that those two Divisions were being issued their 'coming home' BD.
    Clive
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:17 pm

I was also under the impression that the 1st and 5th Div having been in Italy and joined the France, Holland, german theatre later than the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Divisions and there for more easily transfered to another theatre. 2nd, 3rd and 4th were more intrenched in Europe and some staying on as occupation forces.

Bottom line I am just trying to figure out how many if any 2nd, 3rd and 4th Div soldiers were assigned to the Pacific Forces and secondly how many if any 2nd, 3rd and 4th Canadian Div flashes are out there with Pacific Force flash sewn on them.

I tend to think Bill if you don't have a 2nd CID or 4th CAD Pacific force they must be rare or never were. Or like Clive said there was no supply.

On another note of interest, I have a 5th CAD PERTH R with the Pacific Force flash sewn right over it.
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Soldiers in Northwest Europe volunteered for the Pacific Force, they were not assigned, so could come from any other Formation. A quick look at "Distinguishing Patches" will explain the three ways in which the patch could be worn.
    Clive
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Clive,

I do have the book and it comes in very handy. I was reading that section last night actually.

I just find it strange that I see a lot of 1st Div Pacific Force flashes and some 5th CAD but never the other 3 Div's. I guess the 1st and 5th were Gung Ho.

Thanks for all your insight guys.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII Empty CAPF Badges

Post by edstorey Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 pm

I would not necessarily come to any conclusions as to how many people from each Canadian formation joined the CAPF from just looking at surviving badges. You would really want to investigate the CAPF records to see exactly where the volunteers came from.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 pm

The CAPF was made up only of volunteers, and there was an active recruiting drive overseas to get vets of the European campaign to enlist. Many did. And, many of them played the odds, as they figured the war in the Pacific was nearly over and would be before they were needed. It was an odds on bet that volunteering for the CAPF would be a quicker way to get home. In my understanding, I believe the CAPF patches were distributed in Canada, not overseas.
    Not sure if this would explain the scarcity of the CAPF 2 CID and 4 CAD signs.
    purcell
    purcell

Post by purcell Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi guys, would love to see some pics of those battledresses.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Canadian Army Pacific Forces WWII Empty 4th Div BD with CAPF patches

Post by GCR817 Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Guys,

I've got my Grandfather's tunic which has the CAPF badge sewn over the 4 Div patches. He served throughout NW Europe with 8 Fld Coy, RCE, 4 Div). The tunic he kept was his "coming home" BD.

Geoff
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Thank you very much for your post Geoff,

That was just the kind of information and provenance I was looking for.

You are a very like guy to still have a great family heirloom, unfortunately the moths got my grandfathers BD in the 50-60's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 am