Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment

Brentv63

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Empty 1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment

Post by Brentv63 Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello,

Here is my uncle's uniform.

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Pc080910

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Pc080911

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Pc080912
    37patt
    37patt

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Empty Re: 1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment

Post by 37patt Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Very nice uniform you have there!!
    If you haven't already, William Miller runs a web site devoted to the unit and he is always looking for information on members. I recently picked up a box of letters to one of the units members and have sent him copies of them for his collection. Here is the link to the site http://www.canadiankangaroos.ca/Site/War_Diaries.html
    Bill
    Bill

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Empty Re: 1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment

Post by Bill Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 am

Hi Brent, You have a very desireable and scarce tunic. 1 CACR was formed and disbanded overseas. It was an early experiment in using armour to move infantry on the battlefield.
    Could you get a close up of the arms of the tunic? Your uncle appears to have customized the insignia by adding black backing material behind the titles, division patch and diablo.
    Brentv63

Post by Brentv63 Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 am

Hello all,

I will post some close up pictures later today. I also have two sets of 1CACR shoulder titles he took off his other uniforms and both are different styles, one looks like it is backed with German camouflage material.

Brent
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 am

Hi Brent, Could you image those as well? Thanks.
    I echo 37 ptn. You should contact Bill Miller and add your info to his data base. Bill has put a lot of effort into building a reference/memorial for the 1 CACR. http://www.canadiankangaroos.ca/Site/1CACR.html
    Brentv63

Post by Brentv63 Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 am

Yes, I have been to his website a lot over the years, my uncle is listed on the nominal roll on his site. I have sent him an email. With my uncle's items is also a leather jerkin and also a combat smock. The combat smock is something I have never seen before and will be posting later to see if anyone can identify it.

Thanks,
    Brent
    Brentv63

Post by Brentv63 Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Here are some pictures of his shoulder titles and a picture of him.

Brent

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Pc090910

1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Pc090912
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:57 am

Thanks Brent. Of interest, he had both the bevo pattern title and the melton embroidered type. Bill M has found information that suggests the melton pattern was ordered and delivered to the unit just as it was stood down. The titles were obsolete just as they came available.
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Very very nice. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Brian
    Brentv63

Post by Brentv63 Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm

The camo backing on the shoulder title, does it look german?

Brent
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Yes Its German..Ive seen German camo used as a stiffener with these flashes before...neat period addition for sure...
    Brentv63

Post by Brentv63 Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Bill,

Here is a closer image of his patches.
    1st Canadain Armoured Carrier Regiment Pc080910

Brent
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Brent. Note he has customized the titles and patches by adding the black material behind the title and formation patch. The diablos are "custom" made, and it seems just about every one of them is different.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am