Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Ebay seller 85thBattalion

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Ebay seller 85thBattalion Empty Ebay seller 85thBattalion

Post by Infanteer Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Anyone know who this person is? Just curious as he has some items up for auction that have C broad arrow stamps on items that are inconsistent with original items. A flannel shirt with a large, clear C broad arrow in the middle of the back of the collar in black that has survived but none of the original size and date information that is normally in that exact same location is visible. Originals had green C broad arrows applied to the lower front of the shirt. He also has a Brit made P'37 belt that also has a clear, black C broad arrow. Never seen a Brit belt with Canadian acceptance markings before. Coincidence?

There is also a West Nova Scotia BD with a General Service badge and 1st Div patches.... it doesn't make sense.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Ebay seller 85thBattalion Empty Re: Ebay seller 85thBattalion

Post by mk1rceme Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm

I think he use to be a member here. He had a disagreement with someone here and requested to have his account deleted. Not sure what it was all about though.

ledfut

Post by ledfut Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Infanteer wrote:Anyone know who this person is? Just curious as he has some items up for auction that have C broad arrow stamps on items that are inconsistent with original items. A flannel shirt with a large, clear C broad arrow in the middle of the back of the collar in black that has survived but none of the original size and date information that is normally in that exact same location is visible. Originals had green C broad arrows applied to the lower front of the shirt. He also has a Brit made P'37 belt that also has a clear, black C broad arrow. Never seen a Brit belt with Canadian acceptance markings before. Coincidence?

There is also a West Nova Scotia BD with a General Service badge and 1st Div patches.... it doesn't make sense.

In my opinion, you have already discovered enough that "doesn't make sense" to warrant concern about the authenticity of these items.

As a collector of WW2 Canadian uniforms and headgear, I also noticed some inconsistencies in his listings. As well as the ones you have mentioned, there are a couple of "red flags" concerning both of the WW2 caps he also has listed on ebay. The Royal Winnipeg Rifles beret has a red melton backing (but should correctly have a rifle green backing). The officer's Balmoral badged to the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada does not have an officer's cap badge, but instead wears an OR's badge. Furthermore, the inside of the cap reveals that there are a number of extra holes (but none that would seem to coincide with either of the "correct" 3 or 4-piece officers badges).

I don't like to pass judgement and I could certainly be wrong. There is no way to definitively prove (or disprove) the originality of these caps. There is really no way to ever know for sure if this is in fact how the original owners of these caps wore them, or how much they have been monkeyed with over the years.

The only consistency I see is that at least 5 of the items he currently has listed (the three you mention as well as the two caps) have significant question marks. Maybe this is how these items were when he acquired them... Maybe this is why he is selling them...

In any case, it might be my loss, but it is enough that I would certainly be hesitant to bid on any of these items...
    Michael Reintjes
    Michael Reintjes

Post by Michael Reintjes Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm

The West Novies BD is total bullshit.looks like someone tried to doctor an original home defence unit BD with the West Novi titles and div patches without knowing anything about the incompatability of the other flashes....beware.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:37 am