Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
jbond
Darrell
6 posters

General Service Badge varieties

Darrell
    Darrell

General Service Badge varieties Empty General Service Badge varieties

Post by Darrell Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:22 am

Hi

A concentration of info from a different thread:

"Members of the Naval, Military or Air Forces of Canada who have declared their willingness, or who have engaged, to serve in any of the said forces on active service beyond Canada and Overseas, during the present war, and who have been honourably ceased to serve on active service:

1.After not less than three months of continuous paid service.
    2.By reason of physical disability.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group08/gs

For WW2 Army, at least there is a roll of their serial numbers that will give you the Regt'l number and name of the soldier it was issued to. I have a private researcher do my look-ups in Ottawa. There is sometimes an entry in the soldier's files too as to what number GS badge they got.

There seems to be x3 types involving language, consrtruction and fastener on the back. The Sterling ones were the early issue and may have been screwback only. The vertical pin vers. were to women who had no hole in their lapels.

WW2 GS WSBs I have are:

Sterling "General Service" Screwpost
    Sterling "Service General" Screwpost
    Sterling "General Service" Vertical pin
    Enameled "General Service" Screwpost
    Enameled "General Service" Butoniere back
    Enameled "Service General" Butoniere back
    Enameled "General Service" Vertical pin

General Service Badge varieties Ww2wsb10

General Service Badge varieties Ww2wsb11

WW2 GS WSBs I think I need are:

Sterling "General Service" Butoniere back
    Sterling "Service General" Butoniere back
    Sterling "Service General" Vertical pin
    Enameled "Service General" Vertical pin
    Enemeled "Service General" Screwpost

but am unsure if they even exist. I'm just extrapolating from the possible combinations of construction, language and fasteners. If anyone has an example of those I need, I would be pleased to at least have confirmation they exist.

regards
    Darrell

jbond
    jbond

General Service Badge varieties Empty Re: General Service Badge varieties

Post by jbond Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:34 am

Good afternoon, I am wondering if you can help me. My father served in the second world war in the navy and had a tattoo from the HMCS Longbranch. I do not think that this was an official badge for the ship or at least I haven't been able to find it but would sincerely like to find a copy of this. Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi

No, I'm afraid I cannot. I know very little about the Navy side of things. I did have to look up what type of ship she was and a search revealed no crest image on the web that I could find. There area few Navy-philes here that could possibly help. Best re-post as your own thread here and you may get a better response.

Good luck. :)

regards
    Darrell
    Bill
    Bill

General Service Badge varieties Empty Canadian War Service Badges 1914-1954

Post by Bill Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 am

Hello Darrell,
    Nice little project. Collecting War Service Badges is a challenge. There is one encyclopedic book that is the reference, Canadian War Service Badges, 1914 - 1954, but unfortunately, it is oop. It has an incredible amount of information about the series of badges issued by Canada, from the First World War to Korea. It also covers badges to all the services, and a section on Misc. Service Buttons. The book also includes sections on the paper work issued with the badges, the orders/legislation for the badges, etc etc. It is very well illustrated.
    In reference to your particular question, about the types, Johnson includes a table (page 104) listing the Badge Series, the Badge Type (Enamel or Sterling), the Clasp Type, Manufacturer, and a Reference Date (for the run of badges). It appears that there were five makers, Gaunt, Smith-Nemo, Breadner, Stephenson-Osher, and Lackie. There were only three patterns of fasteners, the stud back, screwback, and "safety" pin back. In the manufacturers chart, these are cross referenced with the series and language, so the number of varieties can be established. He also indicates that the stud back badges were exclusively Gaunt made, and that the pin and hasp back badges were for issue to women. Two varieties of screw backs were issued, with different nuts. One is an un-marked Scully made post, and the other is marked D.M.W. PAT. 1858686. (The latter is an American maker who was contracted to supply posts and nuts.)

Last edited by Bill on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Bill

Many thanks for that additional info. I don't know what is meant by "hasp back badges".

I was aware of the book and I believe it was you who sold yours off here or on another Forum. Wish I had known you were going to sell. As it was, I could not afford it at the time and had to watch it go by. :(

If you see another, please let me know. Thanks.

regards
    Darrell
    Bill
    Bill

General Service Badge varieties Empty Hasps and Books

Post by Bill Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

Hello Darrell, Hasps refers to the pin and locking device pattern fastener. This is the pin back type with the small round rotating locking device.
    ABE books is a great place to look for oop books. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=canadian+war+service+badges+1914+-+1954&x=53&y=16.
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Bill

Excellent. Thank you for that link. I suppose if I'm to follow this sub-theme I had better educate myself. :idea:

For the enamels it must be a difference in Makers as have 3 different results. Hasp back is what I have for the two vertical pins and it would appear there is a safety pin variety. I've not seen one of them.8)

regards
    Darrell
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:53 am

Sorry, I should have clarified the hasp / safety pin terminology. They are one and the same. The hasp, like the head on a safety pin, locks the pin in place, supposedly preventing being poked. So, in Johnson's reference, the safety pin means the hasp type. There is no record of the type of fastner like a diaper safety pin used on the War Service Badges.
    From a survey of the table in War Service Badges, there were three different makers for the enamel patterns, Gaunt, Smith-Nemo, and Breadner.
    sniper1shot
    sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot Sat May 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey, did I ever mention that I have this book sitting on my shelf:
    "Canadian war service badges 1914-1954" by Robbie Johnson.

Is it any good? Just kidding.....if anyone needs something looked up let me know.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat May 07, 2011 8:13 pm

Yep, that was the book we were referencing for this thread.
    sniper1shot
    sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot Sat May 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Thought I would throw my meager collection in here too....these are all I have for:
    -Service at the front
    -General Service
    -For Honourable Service
    -Applicant for Enlistment.

Still looking for French variants for all of them.

General Service Badge varieties Sdc16612
    GCR817
    GCR817

General Service Badge varieties Empty WW2 GS Mini

Post by GCR817 Wed May 18, 2011 1:09 pm

I thought I'd add a couple to the showing.

Two unfinished blanks, one being in copper and the other enamel and copper.

A Sterling Silver miniature, marked BIRKS STIRLING. To quote from Johnson in Canadian War Service Badges 1914-1954, page 100, "Although not official issues, miniatures of the General Service badge were available in both sterling silver and gold. The qualified Veteran, by producing their proof of entitlement, could purchase a Sterling miniature at any Birk's store for $5.00."

Geoff

General Service Badge varieties Stuff010General Service Badge varieties Stuff011
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Thu May 19, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Dan

Pretty good selection there. Don't give up the French ones; they're out there.

Geoff

Cool. Thanks for showing those. Don't see too many minatures or un-finished ones (at least I haven't). 8)

Darn, more examples to find for myself. :lol:

regards
    Darrell
    sniper1shot
    sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:50 am

Just re-read the last post here.......I too haven't seen a mini. Just one more to add to my "to find" list.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am

I have seen the odd mini around a few years back, but not recently. Never really understood the whole "mini" concept. Meaning why are there mini's and what purpose do they serve??

My theory is that the mini's are jewelers copies, (therefore I personally passed on them) or something of the like. None of the ones I have seen have the "warning" about misuse on the reverse, nor do I recall seeing a number on the reverse.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Cliff,

You are quite right. The minis were sold by Birks to qualified veterans. The price was $5.00.

Geoff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:53 pm